Sneezy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sneezy, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Sneezy

Sneezy New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Hello,
    I am a new member. I do not live on a farm and I do not raise chickens. I have a duck. I hatched ducks last year in my classroom and the last one that was hatched was born with some issues. I ended up imprinting on her (not intentionally) and now, 9 months later she runs the household. I have done a lot of research on ducks but if anyone has any wisdom or experiences they'd like to share I'd greatly appreciate it.
    She's doing very well now however there have been a few hiccups along the way. She's produced a couple underdeveloped eggs and last month after she molted she became very sick in the sense that she couldn't stand or walk or swim, she kept flipping onto her back and without her main wing feathers she couldn't get herself back up again.

Also, with regards to my username, her name is sneezy as she sneezes All The Time! Lol well at least it seems like it and she is a Rouen.
    Thanks!

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]

What are you feeding her? When you say undeveloped do you mean shelless?
    Also, why do you think she is sneezing? Are her nostrils blocked?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If your house is dry and she does not get enough deep water to dip her head into the nostrils become dry.......Oyster shell is needed for her eggs...poor mobility sounds like she needs niacin in her diet?.........

Cheers.....

2 people like this.
  4. Sneezy

Sneezy New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Thankyou for your response and suggestions :)
    house is dry she has the water I'll look into the oyster shell and i don't believe it was due to naicin deficiencies I think it was due to her molting from the research I've done :)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Sneezy is she crested by any chance?

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

When they molt, if they have any deficiencies it will show up...Molting can be hard on Birds.....
    I did not mean to imply you were not doing things right....We all love our Ducks.....

Best of luck.......

7. Sneezy

Sneezy New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    No offence taken :) and Thank you, that is good to know because when she was born one of the problems she had was with naicin deficiencies but I didn't realize that could come up again.

8. chickens really

Alright, no problem......
    Yes, molt can bring on issues.....add even more protein and some niacin if you can? .....Dry cat food that is fish bases as a treat is great for protein and some even have niacin.......

Lots of greens help......

Cheers.... I love Ducks......

9. Sneezy

Sneezy New Egg

Feb 13, 2017

Thanks will do :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by