Sniff* my babies are growing up!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, the mallards had there official first day out on the lake. They were just goofing off, submarining and flying and paddling around. It was so fun to watch them, and words can't describe how proud I was when they all came parading back to the house this evening all by themselves, they all all stood in a huddle until they were let back into the pen for the night [​IMG] I am hoping for that to become a nightly habit for them.

I will post pics of my big kids in the morning....sniff* It makes me happy and sad and at the same time to see them all grown up...its also a little scary too as they seem to learning how to fly FAST...still debating as to weather to clip those wings or not...

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I would clip there wings

3. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I know...I just don't want some big dog to run out there on them, without there wings they are just "sitting ducks" if you know what I mean...I just want them to be safe, but I can't keep them in the pen their whole lives...trust me, I really want to clip their wings, but if I have to choose between a dog or fox snapping them up or them flying away...sigh* why are things sooo complicated...just letting them out on the lake was a little nerve wracking, but what can you do?

Right now I am just happy that everything is going right, and they obviously see their pen as home, I have every reason to see this as something that will continue as they get their feed there in the mornings and the evenings.

The only solution I can think of is to take keep them penned with clipped wings during the fall and winter months...they have buddies that will never be able to fly, a pekin and a buff runner(both yard ducks), maybe a combination of all these will help things work out...

I mean...what do you guys do for your mallards when they start hovering and flying?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by