*Sniffle..Sniffle*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Jan 2, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My piggies are all dirty... they sit at the slider door and stare at us inside the warm cozy house...
    I think they are cold and want to come live inside again... I feel so bad. I hate leaving them outside in the winter.. It kills me. [​IMG]
    But i cant affored to run a heater out in their barn ...my electric bill will go back up to $600 bucks... [​IMG]
    How do you all make sure you pot belly pigs stay warm enough in a cold New England winter?

**please excuse all the dirty snout marks on the glass.. [​IMG] I've given up..**

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    YOU MUST GO SNUGGLE THEM IMMEDIATELY!

[​IMG]

Or at least make sure they have tons of fresh straw to bed down in... my two use up about 4 bales a week [​IMG]

3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    AWWWW....they sure know how to tug at your heartstrings, don't they. ("mom, we promise, we won't get on the couch.....") A nice draft-free spot in the barn with some straw sounds like a winner to me. They don't realize they're piggies! Soo cute [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lots of straw in their coop. Redhen, they are in great shape. Glad to see that you do not overfeed as many do. A smaller sleeping box inside their shed or barn can also provide a smaller area for them to warm up with body heat. Thankfully things are going to warm up for a while. The East coast has been having some serious cold this winter so far.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOh good idea! I have a large dog Igloo that i could put inside their barn.... maybe they will go inside it to sleep? Wonder if all 3 will fit in it though.. [​IMG]
    Thanks! [​IMG]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

So adorable, your little piggies [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    they sit at the slider door and stare at us inside the warm cozy house...

Oh! How can you stand to see them beg like that? [​IMG] Don't fall for it. My little ones were doing the same thing and I felt so bad. So, I started letting them inside. It turned out that they weren't looking for a warm place to sleep. They were looking for the dog's food. Once they ate up the food and vacuumed up the kitchen floor of crumbs they were ready to head back for the barn! [​IMG]
    Once I started picking up the dog's food bowls before I let them inside they stopping coming up to the back door. Pigs are smart! Smarter than I am most of the time. [​IMG]
    I have a pen inside of the barn that I put dog earred fence around then I lined it on three sides with bales of straw and broke open a few bales in the center for them to nest in. I just add a new bale of straw every week or so and they are happy campers. I keep the door to the pen open so they can potty outside of their sleeping area. I have adult pots along with the younger ones and they keep each other warm.
    If you just have the younger pots you might want to give them a calf hut or plastic dog house filled with straw. That will help to hold their body heat in. Definetly use straw to keep them warm and dry. It works a lot better than hay and breaks down so it is lighter to clean up too.​

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks.. [​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    you've got some cutie piggies right there!!! [​IMG]
    I wonder, can you put clothing on them, sort of like a dog sweater? do they sleep on blankies (really tho?)
    I bet a bale of hay is much cheaper than a electric bill!!!! Atleast there are 3 so they can be warm. HEY wait a sec!! it was like 46 outside!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by