sniffles/obesity?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynnsFlock, Oct 2, 2016.

1. LynnsFlock

LynnsFlock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    Hi I am Lynn's Flock's daughter, I recently adopted a few hens and one seems pretty large. When I pick her up she lets out a little wheeze. She is completely healthy as far as I have observed. Could she just be obese?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Is she the same breed as the others? If so, how much bigger is she? Chickens, with the exception of Cornish Cross meat birds, don't usually get obese if fed a proper ration. I've heard of chickens getting fat from being fed to much scratch grain along with their other feed.

1 person likes this.
  3. LynnsFlock

Sep 25, 2016
    I just adopted them recently, they are maybe Easter Eggers? I have this hen's sister, who is half her size. I currently feed Pellet feed with handfuls of scratch, and treats (table food). I took in 3 from the same place, and only this one seems overweight, and/or perhaps wheezy. I just started Aureomycin feed, but wondering if she needs a vet call?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos or possibly a video of her - especially the wheezy sound?
    Any idea how old they are?
    Can you weigh her - how much does she weigh?

You mention in your opening thread that she wheezes when you pick her up. Is this the only time you notice wheezing or can you hear it when she is walking about normally?

Do you have them quarantined from any existing flock(s) you may have so you can monitor for any internal/external parasites, illness, disease and general health before you add them to your flock?

Generally speaking treats should be limited to no more than 10% of their daily diet. So on a diet of layer pellets, a very small amount of scratch grains and treats would be sufficient.

5. LynnsFlock

Sep 25, 2016
    Hey all, sorry thought my daughter had updated on this thread. The hen is doing much better, no more wheezing. It was just when she was picked up.
    Me personally, I think it was the bedding used where she came from. It was the dustier thin shavings. She seems better now on the straw bedding. She is still pretty big, and I honestly don't know what a "fat" chicken looks like, but she is acting normal, activity is the same as the others, and again, no noise when she is picked up.
    Thank you all for the input :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by