snizzing baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gallito1982, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    I been doing a little reading in here about snizzing (cold like) and i just found one of my 1 week old chick snizzing quite frequently i thought he was snizzing because he was drinking water and probably got some in the vents or something but she kept doing it for the rest of the day, today i found another chick who is inthe same brooder doing the same, when i went to the ranch where i have 10 dominique chicks 1 month olds i notice ome of them is doing the freaking same thing "snizzing" whats going one? It could be a viral diseases? A respiratorie infecction? Or they usually do this when the climate changed? Was very hot since i live in cali but a few day ago starts getting very chilly in the afternoons, im thinking in buy the tylan50, should i do it or what? Thanks for any adviced or help

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like it could be a respiratory disease, but they are kind of young. Is their bedding dusty? This could cause sneezing. Also, is their bedding clean enough? High levels of ammonia can also cause sneezing.

If they have a viral respiratory disease, there isn't any treatment for the disease itself. Just provide supportive care, like electrolytes, probiotics, good food, and warmth. However, if you begin to notice more sneezing, or if it doesn't go away within a week or so, I would get some antibiotics. It would probably be a little tricky to use Tylan50, because four week old chicks are pretty small. I'd start with a water soluable antibiotic instead, like Duramycin, Terramycin, or Tetroxy HCA-280. Antibiotics should help the respiratory disease if its is bacterial.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your chicks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Also make sure that they are getting a good balanced diet in their feed. Vitamin A deficiency in chicks can mimic a respiratory disease. If you want to treat them with Tylan for respiratory disease, there is a water soluble type that you can put in water. Here is info about vitamin deficiencies: http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/VITAMINS.pdf

5. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Thank you so much for the advises guys i really appreciated, i used to have them in a broomer with news paper in the floor but i been using shaving for the last couple of days could be a cause of the snizzing?!?! Theyre clean i change the bedding every 2 days and theyre in purina start &grow medicated and potable water, i give them mealworms as a treats but not vitamins or supplements i was planning in put all the 16 baby chicks in tylan50 inyectable but i was thinking that it could be mix in the water, theres another local poultry store that has powder antibiotic for poultry and wayyyy cheaper than tylan dont remember the name though but i didnt ask much information about it as far as if it cann be used in baby chicks, i didnt spend a lot of time with them today but it looks like the snizzing is decreasing :)

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some pine shavings are very dusty--I prefer the larger flakes. Tractor supply carries 2 kinds. Oxytetracycline is another good drug for the water. Duramycin is another, but I would probably get the oxy first.

7. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    thanks, the shavings that im using is the large one, but for some reason when i clen them up, theres a bunch of dust(powder) of shaving and food mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by