Snoring Chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fancbrd4me02, Jan 9, 2010.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay....Maybe I am ignorant and in all the 25 years I have kept chickens I have somehow overlooked thier ability to snore. My DH and I were shutting up the pens on the free-rangers when I suddenly heard the distinct sound of snoring coming from right next to me! I shooshed my husband and sure enough...Someone was snoring the way people do when they imitate snoring sounds. So I lift the lid to the d'Uccle house and peer in with my flashlight, and right in front of me a roo is still asleep and SNORING! I swear it! Anyone else have snoring chickens?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    everytime I heard a chicken snores my first thought will be infectious respiratory problem........

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    HAhaha Thats pretty cool!

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I have 2 that snore like Big Bird lol

Several others mutter in their sleep...its very funny to listen to!

As for the URV, I havenot noticed any signs of it whatsoever. They are bright eyed and perky and happy birds. They dont make the zzzzzzzzzz snores, or wheezing. Its just talking in their sleep...they sound almost like they are hatchlings again...peep peep chirp lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. Lotje

Lotje Out Of The Brooder

I was pretty surprised when I heard it for the first time too, haha. [​IMG] It's so cute when they do that! [​IMG]

8. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I also thought of respiratory disease, but next day I checked him (and the others) over and they look okay. I looked in thier mouths & throats too. Thing is I think it really is just snoring, it's an even "sawing logs" kind of sound as opposed to a gurgling or struggling to get air/gasping sounds. Thats why it was so shocking, it sounded alomst like when bugs bunny pretends to be asleep but without the whistling part. lol

By the way, the one snoring is the bird pictured in my avatar.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by