Snot in the egg, no cockerel?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Posh Chickens, May 8, 2011.

1. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    There is a red dot in the egg (the white) and then theres a kind of white dot in the yolk, help what is it? I have no cockerel at all... And I want to know what it is ASAP.

2. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Hi there, also had the same fear when I raised my first flock of hens...thought that one of them was actually a rooster!!!

Until I found out contrary to popular opinion, these tiny red spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct which can also cause a red spot on the egg white. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.
    As for the white spot it only indicates bieng fertile if it has a second white dot within that white dot..i think

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    A fertile egg will look like a small bull's eye.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    And the egg is quite edible. If you stored it in the fridge for a week or two you probably wouldn't have seen the red dot.

You will see a lot of odd things, collecting your own eggs. Commercials pull these eggs and they are sold for use in things like baked goods. That's why you don't see double yolked eggs in store bought.

5. Posh Chickens

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I had an egg sunny side up this morning, and the yolk sure looked like it had a white bulls eye in it. I cannot understand?!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A white dot is not a bullseye. A white dot is what is on every egg yolk. It is the blastodisc, what has the ability to be fertilized. A blastoderm is the bullseye, the white dot with a ring around it. A red dot is a ruptured capillary, nothing to do with fertilization at all.

I don't understand what you meant by "snot". [​IMG] Even in a fertile egg, you will not see "semen".

7. Posh Chickens

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I know, but I did see a bullseye, [​IMG] Unless someone is throwing a cockerel in there while I'm at school? [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  9. Posh Chickens

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    It looked like the second one down, I really don't know, maybe it was a one off or something, thanks BYC'ers for ALL your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by