1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    She's a mixed breed. Other members suggested a polish/production breed cross. She's about two years old.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She has a cloudy snotty nose.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    I just noticed today, but the last time I took a close check on her was a few days ago.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Not that I've seen.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No. A few months ago she had a bad injury to her side, but it's since scarred over.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    WE've been having temperatures -9 or colder without wind chill. With wind chill, worse.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Yes, Layer pellets and whatever water isn't frozen at the time. Just plain tap water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    I can't tell which hen poops what.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing yet, just noticed it.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I can't afford a vet, nor do I have one that would be willing or able to care for a chicken.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll take a picture within the hour.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    8x6 or so coop, whitewood shavings, deep litter method. Plyboard coop, wood floor. Hay in nests.

2. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    [​IMG][/IMG] I also just saw her sneeze

3. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would smell of her face for a bad odor, look for any swelling around eyes or face, for bubbles in the eye or drainage, and gurgles or wheezes when breathing, and any cough or sneeze. Cloudy nasal secretions sound a bit like a bacterial respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD) or infectious choryza, but infectious bronchitis and layngotracheitis (ILT) are also common. Here is a list of diseases and symptoms for your reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  5. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    Hmm... At such cold temperatures (I am experiencing the same) I would maybe lean towards a cold? I'm not really sure.

6. ChickenWhisper0

ChickenWhisper0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    I am in no way a chicken expert! at all, but i will give you an opinion. I personally think she may just have a little cold, happens to me alot. I usually give them antibiotics in their water and it is cured. My whole flock usually comes down with a cold whenever there is a bad rain storm of it gets real cold, so i think the temperature may have caused it. I hope this helps! Im sure someone else will chime in too [​IMG]

7. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Her face does not smell bad to me. Her eyes appear to be clear.
    EDIT: Her snot is almost completely white and cloudy and it is sticky, not too watery.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    By the way, chickens don't have colds. Since there is no fowl odor, it may be MG, but testing is necessary to really know for sure. This can be treated with an antibiotic such as oxytetracycline (different brand names, like Terramycin), erythromycin (Gallimycin), spectinomycin, and Tylan Soluble Powder or Tylan 50 injectable for shots into the breast muscle. You could wait a day or two to watch for more symptoms or treat now. Many of these respiratory diseases make carriers out of the whole flock, and some people will choose to cull sick birds or treat with antibiotics.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    The chickens are away for the night, so I'll check for symptoms tomorrow and separate.
    I'll be strongly leaning towards the antibiotics, assuming I can even find them around here. Most places will ship only to the US and we don't have the best feed stores around here.
    EDIT: I know chickens don't get colds.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are Canadians on this this forum all of the time, and I'm sure many can give instructions on obtaining antibiotics. Some chicken keepers get antibiotics from tropical fish stores or pet bird stores or online companies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by