Snotty, raspy chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christie22701, Aug 9, 2013.

1. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    My babies are sick. I introduced four new chickens last weekend without knowing to quarantine them (duh) an they were sick. Now my original eight are sick too. Sneezing, coughing, gurgling, runny noses. My vet friend recommended medicated chick feed with tetracycline. Well I can't find any but I did find a water soluble powder version. I just can't figure out how much to use for a gallon of water. The directions are confusing. I just want my chickens to be healthy again. Any suggestions??

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will not ever be healthy again if they have one of the chicken viral respiratory diseases, which they probably do. They may get over the symptoms but will always have the disease, it might pass through the egg to the next generation, and will probably recur. You need to keep a closed flock, that is, never let birds or hatching eggs leave your property. Or, do what many old timers here would do and cull.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/715540/sneezing-coughing-and-now-a-buggery-nose-on-my-roo/0_20

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I have no rooster. These are backyard pets. I only have a dozen but enjoy the eggs. If I treat with Tetracycline for two weeks I trash the eggs, right? Then wait two weeks before consuming again? I don't want to cull the flock, I can just keep it closed. I'm very upset at the man who sold me the sick birds. How could he have not known??

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The information I found said to use 1/8 teaspoon powdered Tetracycline per cup of drinking water. There are 16 cups in a gallon. So, I think you should use two teaspoons Tetracycline in a gallon of water. However, be advised that Tetracycline is one of the most commonly used antibiotics, so many strains of bacteria have become resistant to it. Therefore, it is often better to use other antibiotics, such as Tylan 50 or Oxytetracycline, as they will tend to be more effective in treating diseases. But I suppose it won't hurt to try Tetracycline first.

During the treatment time, you will have to discard all of the eggs, and will also have to discard them 14 days after the treatment. Thats a lot of wasted eggs, but its better than dead birds. Make sure, too, when giving the Tetracycline (or any antibiotic) that you don't give probiotics or dairy products, such as yogurt. After the treatment, though, you can build up your birds' immune systems with anything you want.

I wish you luck with treating your birds! Keep us updated.

5. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Oxytetracycline is actually what the package says, so I'm good on your recommendation there. I took a shot in the dark and mixed two teaspoons with a gallon of water this morning while I was awaiting your reply. Now I just hope that they are feeling well enough to drink. It's just heartbreaking to go from having beautiful, healthy, happy chickens to this. This is my first flock and I was so happy with the progress that I was having. My down fall was thinking I could just add to my flock without any repercussions. Live and learn I guess. I don't mind discarding the eggs, I just want my babies back to the way they were...HEALTHY and HAPPY. I'm glad I joined the site, I have always referred to it but hadn't joined until now and I'm glad I did. Thanks for all your advice and will be back to let you know of their progress and return if I should need your help again. Thanks

6. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Another question I have... What about egg binding while they're sick? I've already noticed a drop in egg production. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is unlikely that they will get egg bound while they are sick, as egg production, like you said, is slowing down. A decrease in egg production is common when chickens are stressed out by disease, heat, other birds, and other external/internal factors. Just keep a close watch for any egg bound symptoms (penguin-like appearance, lethargy, straining, etc.), and your birds should be fine.

8. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Okay. Thank you for your time. You guys have been an invaluable resource! I'm so glad you're only a keystroke away...

9. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    [​IMG]

10. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Okay ...so I have been trying VERY hard to find the feed with tetracycline to no avail. I have tried everywhere. Is the tetracycline in the water going to be enough to treat them successfully? I'm worried that the are not feeling well enough to drink therefore not getting the medication they so desperately need. I am sooo worried. I have called everywhere looking for the feed, I've even looked online to see if I could buy it. I just can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by