Snotty, vicious, gotta-be-a-roo and my new scary voice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WildBurroShirts.com, Feb 12, 2009.

1. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    [​IMG]

So, the girls are all enjoying the big (almost finished) coop. They love the little penguins (Austrolorps) and BSL chicks and sometimes hang out near their brooder. It's like chicken tv for them, watching the fuzzbuts jumping around I think.

But what HAS to be a roo (named Coburn, after the John Wayne movie) has started being beyond obnoxious: he not only pecks heads and eyes but hangs on by his beak to their heads as they try and run screaming off!

They literally are screaming and backing away and he gets dragged along as he's biting them so hard.

Today was different. I had been sitting on the floor hand feeding the girls nine grain cereal and yelled at him the first time he did it: he eyed me, did it again ten seconds later. (he was wayyy over near the ramp to the roosts)

I yelled really LOUD and hurled the handful of grain at him, he looked surprised but did it again in a few seconds.

I got up, chased him and caught him, gave him a LOUD talking too up close and personal, and hung him upside down for a bit.

The entire coop froze and just stared at me like I'd gone insane.

He's only two months old...if he's this horrid so young, what's he gonna be like when puberty hits???

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, I'm with you on that one. I yell so much I should have lost my voice by now. Then again, I seem to give more kicks than stern talking-to's.

Maybe you are starting with him so soon, he'll be all owner-trained by the time puberty rears it's ugly head.

Yeah, I don't think so either, but you'll have to wait and see. [​IMG]

Hah, I'm way beyond 'used to the dirty looks' by now. [​IMG] You get to see them an awful lot here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    One of my roos made the mistake of trying to bully me when I had PMS (Sorry guys). I was like [​IMG] "You wanna go!!! You wanna go!!!!" LOL he looked like he said "Uh oh" and ran away. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I am sorry but that just sounds funny. I know it is frustrating. I scared the peewaddin outta my roo with a flashlight and now he never comes near me!!

Also, just because the bird acts like that doesn't mean it is a roo. I have perfectly good hen laying now whose name is Hannibal - no explanation needed with that name!!!!

5. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:OMG that was your pic on the homepage last week? They are sooo beautiful!

But yeah...there's a little 'tude there, for sure.

I'm going out to feed now. With a water pistol. It's a dragon's head where the eyes light up (red) and it makes a hissing sound...the water shoots out the base of the forked tongue.

I'm gonna chase that little twerp and drench him if he starts dragging the girls around by their head.

It's crazy: there are 3 food containers in a 10x14 coop, plus treats, plus some scratch on top of their roosts...he's just being ignorant.

I'll send you some of my cough drops. [​IMG]

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Me and spike, my golden polish Roo have a battle every now and again.
    This morning I just banged two water jugs together and yelled you want a piece of me? So then he thought better about flogging me.

7. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:hahahahahaha [​IMG][​IMG]

I am SO on that page! I've got way too much to do without having to buy the girls glass eyes if he's going to yank 'em around by their faces like that.

Sheesh.

8. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Sorry to get off topic, but I have to ask:

How do you get the brooder in the coop without letting the big chickens get the little fuzz butts? [​IMG]

We ate our nasty rooster (even though he was pretty) AND HE WAS DELICIOUS!!!

Those roos can be real jerks sometimes, though!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:A flashlight, eh? I've got flashlights....[​IMG]

I'm real new to chickens but it just 'looks' like one. It's got a comb going on whereas everybody else is just a little line of bumps. It's more upright and they're more roundish.

And it's harder to catch and has ALWAYS been mean, even when it was a fuzzbut!

But yeah...I guess that name was earned, eh? Man. I couldn't kill them myself but I could totally give away a critter that dragged its friends around by the eyelid.

10. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:Note to self: bring water jugs everywhere.

Actually, since there's no run attached (and my 3 dogs are sure those are windup toys in there), I have to sneak in the door dragging my water buckets, poop buckets, treat tray, etc with me.

But now the girls are on to me and rush the door so I have to drop everything, yell at the dogs, and whirl my arms around to keep the airborne feathered pigs off of me so I can get in and close the door.

Picture "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!" (for you old enough to get it) and you know how I enter the coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by