Snow adventures in locking them up

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by artsyrobin, Jan 10, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    we got a good snowfall yesterday, all the chickens hid under the coop in the run, even the renegades who hate to come in- well... its getting dark, most of them have gone to the coop... well, not really- barny the LB roo is sitting in the top of the fence giving me the stink eye- only thing i could figure is he didn't want to walk on the snow.... soo i finally had pity on him and pulled part of the fence down so he could get on the porch and i carried the big lug into the coop- sheesh!! he is a big guy- must be at least 15 pounds- a gentle soul but a wuss when it comes to snow...
    [​IMG]

ok, so i do a head count....hmmmm...missing Lily, Grace, Emmi, (LB) and Pippin(red star) and rusty the cochin... so i go look, yep, they are huddled by the door of the OLD coop.... geeze guys did the snow freeze your brains?? so i carried them one at a time to the new big coop.... granted, all but pippin had never seen snow- they are from last spring.... but the door to the old coop opens from the bottom, so they had to hop up into the old coop, which is housing the banties during this cold... and the old dog is stuffed in there at nite too- so this morning they are looking out the door like... its still here!!!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    LOL, my Thor (dark brahma) is the same way. He came out in the snow long enough to crow at Impy (I guess letting Impy know he's still the king rooster) and then went back to the coop.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Haha - Spoiled Chickens comes to mind.... [​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:[​IMG]

so wonder if its a brahma trait??

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

so wonder if its a brahma trait??

Maybe it's a rooster thing! I had to rescue Impy (a turken roo) when he got out in the snow and decided he didn't like it. If I hadn't rescued him, he'd probably be frozen to the tree branch he was roosting on by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by