Snow and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by YellowHouseFarm, Mar 6, 2013.

1. YellowHouseFarm

YellowHouseFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Virginia
    hi all, we are in a very heavy snowstorm and the chicken wire above the coop is sagging all the chickens are under a solid roof and so is the coop but im wondering will they be ok out there with no heat?...also there feed is wet from the snow so I scattered some cracked corn for them, is that enough or should I do more? I only have 4 chickens
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I am from Michigan so we are used to snow and cold up here. Your chickens should not need extra heat. Mine do fine in 20 degree weather in the coop as long as they can dry off and sleep away from a strong draft. You might want to shake the snow off of the chicken wire above periodically to avoid the risk of it collapsing under the weight of the snow. If you can keep the feed in dry in the coop, that may be a better place for it while it is snowing. The cracked corn strewn around is fine as long as they eat it in the next few days. You don't really want it laying around too long in the wet.

1 person likes this.
  3. YellowHouseFarm

YellowHouseFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Virginia
    thanks for the response I will take your advice!...I know Michigan has alot of snow...I was born there but havent been back since I was a baby lol...im just learning my way around the coop so im gonna be asking lots of questions lol

4. smittyG

smittyG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    ByB Farms Mi.
    Im from Michigan as well during heavy snow we keep feed in their coops! Not that they wont go scratch for it they just dont seem to want to go out in it! Now our ducks they could care less if its snowing! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by