SNOW.... and very bemused chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SeaChick, Dec 3, 2007.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We're having a major snowstorm here... woke up to about 4-5" already this morning. It's hilarious watching the girls react to the snow! First of all, they're even weirded out in the run, because the clear roof is covered with snow and everything around them is white. They normally yell and scream to be let out but when we opened the door to the yard this AM they had no interest. We had to lure them out with scratch and they DIDN'T like the snow. Very funny. I have never seen them so quiet and tentative!! After an hour or so, they were eating the snow that blew into their run, but still no interest in coming outside until I shoveled a walkway for them. I actually feel kinda bad for them, poor girls.... suddenly thier whole world is totally changed and they're like, "WHAAAAT????".... but it's also really funny![​IMG]

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Same thing happened here in eastern Colorado. The first time they saw snow nobody did more than poke their head out the door. Little by little they are getting used to it. I find it interesting that they like to munch on the snow.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine eat it as well. We covered their run with a tarp a few weeks ago, and then we had a tiny bit of snow and they spent the day trying to get their heads out the run far enough to eat it!
    We had an ice storm come through here on the weekend, and then they ate that as well.
    They're so funny! It must be kinda a shock to them, they don't get the weather warnings, they just wake up and BAM - SNOW everywhere!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    My 2 are refusing to go out in it and it's only 1 little measly inch! However, Annie eats the snow off my shoes when I visit them inside!
    JJ

5. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    We got 5-6" here and my chickies haven't been too keen to check it out yet. When I opened the coop door this morning I did have my favorite girl meet me at the door with many clucks--I think she was just looking for treats, as usual.
    Only 5 of them have come outside (I have 27 total), 4 of those came out and got "stuck" in the snow. I watched them as they froze in their tracks and didn't move for several minutes. Shock? I picked them up one by one and set them by the coop door and they went back in immediately. I haven't seen any others come out, even when they heard me putting scratch out there.
    Welcome to the Minnesota winter girls!!:eek::eek::eek:

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    this is fun to hear about.

seachick, was it you taht was going to make dough ornaments with your kids on snowy days? how did they turn out?

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Mine are all hiding out in the coop. My yard looks so empty! [​IMG]
    A few of them have seen snow before and I'm sure in a day or two they'll be out in it, just like me. I'm not going out in this mess today.

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    My polish refuse to go out in the snow. I have to shovel a chicken patio area for them to even try it on a good day. Wimps!

The horses are out and could care less, snow piled on their backs and eating their breakfast.

9. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Just came back from getting eggs. There is a small strip of the run that faces north and is the only place left with snow. The drew a line in the snow so to speak and won't cross to come see me like they usually do. They better get over it as last year we were covered with 3-4 feet of snow for most of the winter.[​IMG]

10. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Same here, we got about 6" i'd guess.
    I did not go out to et them out till 10 am or so Sat, which is really late. Usually by 7am they are sqawking wanting out, but they were quiet Sat. am. Then when I opened the door they just stood there. Eventually they did come out in the snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by