Snow Chickens - No Heat Required

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sacrifice, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    Just thought I would post a picture of the coop, pen and chickens with the unusual snowfall we had right before Thanksgiving. Still have some of the snow, even though it is now raining. No heat was provided for the chickens, just a lot of good food and water. I am building a new coop and pen this spring, so hopefully the snow won't get into the pen, though the chickens did seem to like to mess with the snow a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Lol! Thats funny. Loving your pen and coop.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your run is really cool (no pun intended)!! [​IMG]

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Your chickens look nice and warm! Nice coop and run as well!

Nate

5. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet the snow makes for nice insulation.

6. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I like your coop set up, Sacrifice! Will your new coop have the Pretty sun panel installed? The Roof and run both have a very good pitch.

@namastemama: Snow does warm things up and keep the drafts away!

7. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I love your little coop and run. Do you have any problems with the weight of snow on the hoop house? I know someone who had a greenhouse constructed that way and he complained of problems with snow even though we are in KY and get much less snow than you do. Just wondered how that was working.

8. mjohnston

mjohnston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice coop and run Sacrifice. My new run is planned to be like yours and you just gave me the solution for the union of the wall (vertical )and the roof (curved). Is it PVC or metal made?
    Thank you and regards fron Spain

9. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Your coop and run are so cute!!! Post pics of new coop for me once you finish it in the spring!

10. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I love unique and original looking coops like yours! There's a lady in Maine who stacks up hay or straw bales in squares, there is an open area in the middle where the chickens congregate and poop. She puts straw/hay over the poop through the winter. It keeps the wind off the chickens, and keeps there feet warm and dry. I thought it was a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by