Snow day in Portland

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Xtina, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My ladies finally ventured out of the coop and into the snow! Here's an example of the "squatting" I was asking about in another thread. I do believe those ladies have been trying to seduce me!

*I don't know why Photobucket made those so small and the new version won't let me make them bigger on the fly.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I imagine that you are getting eggs or will shortly.

Fun hens.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    OMG I'm laughing at the 50 Cent reference to chickens. Girl shake that thang. [​IMG]

4. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, the Orp has been laying for about a month, and I'm expecting the other two girls to start laying any day now!

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My chickens do that squatting thing all the time for me. They gather around me and do it, wanting to get a pet or two. I don't know if there is another reason for it, but that's why they do it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    Quote:i think they are waiting to be mounted by a roo [​IMG]

@Xtina
    do you heat your coop ? i don't and mine have been out of the henhouse all but the first 2 really cold days and one of the heavy snow/wind days. they haven't ventured out into the snow much though. when they did i took some photos myself, posted them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=114859

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon

@Xtina
    do you heat your coop ? i don't and mine have been out of the henhouse all but the first 2 really cold days and one of the heavy snow/wind days. they haven't ventured out into the snow much though. when they did i took some photos myself, posted them here:

Really? Well, lol they are out of luck because I don't have one! [​IMG]

8. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon

@Xtina

I did start heating it during those really cold days. I hadn't planned on doing it at all, but then the "arctic blast...dun dun dun!" came through and they just seemed so miserable that I took the lamp I heated them with when they were chicks back out there. I think today they're waiting for me to let them out. I just saw them all on their outer perch, away from the heat, making low noises like they were bored...or at least that's how I took it. But I don't want to let them out again, because yesterday they pretty much stripped the only non-snowy part of the yard of everything green in it! I hope some more of this snow melts soon!

9. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh, and I knew they were "presenting," I just didn't know the term for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by