Snow in Portland Oregon

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ardagh23, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ardagh23

ardagh23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    Hello,

I have a small flock of 7 birds that I raised from chicks. This is my first run ever with chickens. They're all about 11 months old.

My concern is that their watering bowl is frozen. At first I was boiling water, pouring it in and then thawing out the water. They would run up and drink. I've seen them eating snow. We should thaw out here in about 2 - 3 days. I can't run any type of heat up to the hen house. My question is this.. Is the snow sufficient to keep them hydrated or do I need to keep boiling water to water them?

I'm hoping some real northerners will help me out and give me some sage advice here.

Thanks,

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

When it is freeing out I switch to the thick black rubber feed pans many people use for horses.

They are flexible and strong.

When they freeze solid you can kick them free from the ground and then jump on the bottom, the ice cube pops out, and you can fill it back up just with tap water.

Even though you will only use it for a little bit, they are great to have.

They are a good size to use as a tiny duck pond, or a dust bath for the chickens, or anything really.

1 person likes this.
  3. ardagh23

ardagh23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    That sounds like a great idea. Then I wouldn't need to boil water, just run the hose up and refill the bowl. I've lived in Portland for 14 years now and we've never had snow like this in the past. I don't think it will be a continuing trend.

I'm just wondering though could they eat the snow and stay hydrated enough or is that not enough?

4. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Not alot of water in snow. Melt some and find out. I used to live in MN. I use electric dog bowls when we freeze here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by