Snow in Texas!!

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Thats what the weatherman said. I'm gonna add some protection for the girls. Its the wind thats gonna be bitter cold . One of my girls already has frostbite on her comb. My coop has alot of ventilation so I'll fixs that. Take care of your flock. They deserve that.

Just don't close the coop up too much or you'll have even more frostbite. Maybe make some plywood or cardboard baffles to direct the wind away from the girls but still allow the humidity to escape.

Just a thought!

Larry

We have about 3 inches+ right now...I put a brooder lamp in mine before I locked them up. It is going to be a cold cold 3-4 days. I just hope my water line doesn't freeze. we have no heat in the house...other than fireplace and two small space heaters. time to make the dog keep you warm...lol

I know I am dreading it. My wife is being induced on Thurs morning. Of course it has to be the nastiest time of the year. It hasn't rained here since '85 the year I was born. Leave it to the year my son is born for it to snow again!
roll.png

Yes I meant snow!
lol.png
I was up late.

Last edited:
Quote:
You mean snow not rain. Its blowing in right as I type . The wind is howling. Chickens won't wanna go outside today!! Their talking 18 tonight but with the wind howling its gonna be bitter cold. Haven't heard the wind chill forecast. I don't see how the northern folks do it & don't wanna start learning. What happenned to global warming Al. Guess that speech only comes around in August when our typical weather is 105 degrees in the shade.

It's blowing here! Howling wind (gusts at 50mph+) and temps in the teens...wind chills in the single digits....and 3-4 inches of snow. What do y'all do with your chickens on days like this? Let them out or keep 'em locked up? I left everybody up so far today and threw some scratch in the coop to keep them entertained.

The wind is blowing HARD and COLD! Im just about to go out to the coop and throw a 250watt heating lamp above the roost...My friend's chickens lost their toes last time it snowed about a month ago. Im not about to have crippled chickens walking around everywhere. Glad I made sure to build the coop near an electrical source, thank you "Raising Chickens for Dummies".
big_smile.png
Never really thought about the cold tho, being from Texas.
tongue.png

Gonna stay at the farm tonight to make sure all water lines to the animals are free and running tomorrow morning. Not supposed to get snow till Friday but plan to be there to keep a close watch on things. Our power goes out at the drop of a hat anyway. No power= no heat and no water. We got a generator to hook to the PTO on the tractor but don't have the throw switch installed yet. Can run about 4 plugs off the extension cord but have to decide what we need most. This is why I don't live up north and they send it to us anyway! (Heard one of the Packer's staff say they were sorry they brought it with them. )
gig.gif

I live in an area just outside of Waco. It sleeted and iced up here last night. The wind is also blowing like crazy. I don't think Waco got any of it. I have checked on my chickens several times today. I opened one pop door so that they could go out if they want to....and some did..including my 2 ducks. It's in the 20's now and will be in the teens tonight. I will shut the pop door before dusk. My coop is staying nice and warm so far. I do have a heat lamp in there and will keep it on throughout this week. he wind chill factor is expected to get in the negatives with the temp into the lower teens. My coop is an 8 x 10 with 9 chickens and 2 ducks. They have lots of room inside to scratch around in if they want. I did put some scratch in there this morning along with some warm oatmeal. I don't usually put their water inside but I have this week...as well as outside. All I can say is BBBRRRRRR!!!! It's cold out there for us Southerners! From 74 on Monday to 20's on Tuesday....THAT'S CRAZY!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom