Snow is like Kryptonite

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mnswm2, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Mnswm2

Mnswm2 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    Do any of your chickens walk in the snow? Mine will run out of the coop (the first part of the chicken run is covered by tin for shade and weather protection, the rest is welded wire) and as soon as they get to the line of snow the brakes come on. None of my chickens are old enough to have been around snow last winter. I learn something new about them every day.

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i havent had enough snow here to tell if they are going to like the snow or not....i am hoping i find out for christmas!!!

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    They get used to it. [​IMG] Although mine still try to fly from bare spot to bare spot as much as they can. Pretty hysterical. We are all hoping for warmer weather.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    At first mine treated snow like they would lava, but now they're cool with it and go about their chickeny business in the yard.

5. Mnswm2

Mnswm2 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    I'm in MN, there are no bare spots. LOL

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine walk in it and sink down with every step as if they are like "woah! the ground is falling!!!" its hysterical. When they first jump out of the coop the wiggle around and its like who is gonna jump first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by