1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snow learning "Speak"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    OK guys/gals I have been working with Snow for a few days trying to teach her to speak on command. She now understands what I want, but doesn't really know it is tied into the command yet... That will come. My wife recorded part of our last session. And it was funny enough I thought I would share. I have often said Snow walks around muttering to herself and that she always has something to say. From this video you might get an idea of what I am talking about. Now I want you to realize that this is not a unique thing. Snow talks back to me most of the time whether there are treats involved or not.

Warning: not responsible for drinks blown out through noses...

[​IMG]

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    We're doing the same thing with Wobbles, only we want him to learn "jump". It's going pretty good so far!

3. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    @Amykins All my ducks can "jump" as long as you hold a meal worm over their head [​IMG]. None will do it without though. Snow will argue with me just because - cracks us up all the time. Hope this at least put a smile on your face. Let us know what pancake turns out to be (ostrich?) when she/he goes to her/his checkup today [​IMG]

Edit: Oops, just saw on the call duck thread, you already answered this question... Sorry [​IMG].

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    gentila, you are so much better at documenting these behaviors than I ever shall be. Thanks!

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    lol! That's pretty much the best video ever! Thanks for the smiles! :)

6. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I just think they are awful funny [​IMG]Snow talks back to me ALL the time (why I decided she HAD to learn "speak")and this time my wife happened to catch it. I will leave the dissertation (and excellent book) writing to you [​IMG]

7. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Thanks. In many if my prior posts, I talk about Snow observing things them muttering to herself as she walks off. Now people who see this can better visualize what I am talking about. I love my ducks - they are all crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by