Snow might be finding a new dang home!! >:(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    trying to get the boys and girls separated since they are coming to breeding age and I pick my favoret chicken and rooster up, He is a Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam named Snow... well he bit me for the first time on the nuckle [​IMG].. nothing to draw blood but I have a strict no bite, no flog rule.. chickens who bite or flog me one time are out the door! I have already gotten rid of 2 sets of sisters, two Black Breasted Red OEGB and two Serama pullets, because one of the 2 bit me and they were too close to eachother to separate them so they just went together..
    So by my rule Snow should be finding a new home but the fact that he's my favoret makes it a little hard to stick to that rule... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Wow. If I had that as a hard and fast I wouldn't have many chickens left.

I try training first. My Romeo loves me but he still can't resist coming a time every once n a great while. I re-establsh the rules and we're good for another year or so. Never can tell what the triggers are - though he cannot tolerate me wearing floor length skirts! [​IMG]

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I wouldn't have a rooster if I followed your rule. I've had to work with them to get them to know that I am in charge...not them. It takes a bit of time and commitment, but it seems to be working for me. I have two roos now that I spend time with each night and will pick them up and carry them around if they are aggressive with me or the hens or mate while I'm out there. They stopped coming at me for the most part, but sometimes I still have to pick them up because they go after one of the hens either to mate or to just be a jerk.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I've handled him since he was a day old and he's never went after me before! I can pick him up and he just sits there cuz he's so use to me holding him all the time. I separated them tonight because I dont want them to cross breed with my girls. I do have 2 pairs (Mille Fleur and Black Tailed White Japanese) but you cant control who breeds who.. I think I just need to get him a Red Pyle OEGB hen.. He's the only one who doesnt have a mate.. I think he's going hormonal.

5. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    All mine were handled since day one also and never showed any aggression until suddenly one day. If he isn't overly aggressive, I'd work with him. I've rehomed roos that were too aggressive, but there have also been those that corrected with a little training.

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Oh, and it is okay that he just lets you hold him. That is what he should do. You are just reinforcing that you are stronger/bigger than he is and that YOU are the top roo in charge. [​IMG]

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Well how old is he? He probably is going hormonal. Romeo was practically a lap rooster! But once he hit his teens he turned into a little monster. But, I have handled teens before!! An I reminded him who ruled the roost and he eventually matured out of the worst of it. But, he is a rooster and if the others may mate and he may not he will try to mate you. No Oedipal complex in rooster world, mama becomes mate with no guilt! [​IMG]

Train him or at least try...

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Quote:Well how old is he? He probably is going hormonal. Romeo was practically a lap rooster! But once he hit his teens he turned into a little monster. But, I have handled teens before!! An I reminded him who ruled the roost and he eventually matured out of the worst of it. But, he is a rooster and if the others may mate and he may not he will try to mate you. No Oedipal complex in rooster world, mama becomes mate with no guilt! [​IMG]

Train him or at least try...

hmmm. I think he's about 18 weeks now.. I lost count! but yeah he's a teenager! I cant find Red Pyle girls anywhere. He's beautiful and I would love to get babies out of him but honestly since I am trying to show birds and since I cant see a reason in dubbing him (yes its an old tradition but honestly I think its retarted and the stupidest thing to do to such a beautiful breed!) he honestly is no good for what I am trying to start..

heres a couple pics of him...

Pics from June 26th
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics from yesterday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by