Snow? No Thank You.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Nov 22, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    It was predawn morning early today. My Airedale Rummy and I go and let our chickens out as usual.

[​IMG]
    The chickens were not happy with what they saw. What's all this white stuff on the ground?

[​IMG]
    They hovered for a long time at the pop door, wondering if it was really proper for them to get their feet wet with snow...

[​IMG]
    Even with my repeated cooing and clucking, they refused to come out.

I resorted to throwing some scratch feed for them on the ground, and they finally came out for a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Delaware hen, in the twilight hours of dawn.

[​IMG]
    Chickens hiding under the crawl space, under their chicken coop. Very snug, warm and cosy.

[​IMG]
    What they really wanted to do, was to go back inside. And they did. So I threw the scratch feed all over the ground in the enclosure, where they could spend some time, amusing themselves, finding scratch.

[​IMG]
    A few silkies decide to venture out in the snow, and see what adventures they could have, while a buff laced Polish hesitates. Eventually, she decided to stay indoors. As for the silkies, I actually had to go out after a few hours, and rescue them. They were trying to find their way back in to their enclosure, but the snow must have confused them or something, because they were shivering by the time I got to them. They were desperately trying to find a gap in the chicken wire to get back in. Silly chickies.

[​IMG]
    The Chicken home. We decided that the flat roof at the front of the run wasn't going to work too well. When we get the next break of sunshine (tomorrow), we're going to change out the roof and make it slope instead. That should just take 1 day's work.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thanks for making me so glad I live in AZ.

Your birds are gorgeous and obviously, very well taken care of.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I just love the variety in your flock, so picturesque. [​IMG] Beautiful dog as well.

4. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    I love your coop and you have some beautiful birds. We havent gotten any snow here in WI... yet. I cant wait to see my chickies reactions when it does fall though!

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Send that snow to Sacramento CALIFORNIA please! I will expect it around thanksgiving! Haha not only sacramento but SOUTH SACRAMENTO. Heck.. Just send snow to alllll of california about 2 feet hehe [​IMG]

I miss the snow... Used to live above Nevada City around highway 20 area and man it was beautiful and I loooove the silence of it [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Sheila-

Your hen house is sooo cute and I love your dog! I have an Irish Terrier, Fionna. She looks almost identical to your Airedale except she has no saddle on her back.

And your chickens are lovely!
    Thanks for sharing the pics,

7. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Great flock you have... but I'm partial to their protector. Rummy's gorgeous.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Neato!

9. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    My chickens did the same thing this morning with all the snow. They didn't even come out for food. It's snowing here in Coos bay for the first time this year! In fact it's snowing as I type this!

I love your coop and your chickens are cute!

I just told the snow to head for California, but I'm not so sure it listened.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

We're getting it in the Sierras around here, but not this far down into the Valley floor. (Hush your mouth, lil miss South Sac!

I love to look at, and visit snow, but not live in it.

This past weekend, my flock got blown all over the place. Silly birds couldn't keep up with the wind direction as it changed - feathers got blown backwards a lot. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by