Snow - Pics and videos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Nov 21, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

This is the first winter for our ducks, and today they were baffled. I opened the duck house, they came out, and then just stood there looking around. We had a little bit of snow dusting before, but not 2" of it. Winter has barely started and they are already cunfused. It was just to funny watching them sliver through the snow. Trying to dig under and coming up with big balls of snow on their bills. All I'm thinking that they better flatten out the snow with their flip flop feet. Just to funny. They will get used to it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    [​IMG] oh hec its snow [​IMG] thanks for sharing just imaginning them from your description made me smile on what has been a very boring day. [​IMG]

3. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    My two boys Elliot and Oliver (Rouen Drakes) got their first taste of snow today as well. We got 14" of fresh snow overnight here in Herriman Utah. Needless to say, they had NO idea what to think. They sure tried hard to go out and play in it, but just kept getting stuck ( nothing worse than a stuck duck) [​IMG] I did get some pictures, I'm going to try and figure out how to post them. I'm a little concerned about the expected temperatures for Wednsday. They are forecasting a low of 3 degrees and a high of 18 degrees. They have an un insulated/un heated hut that is dry and full of fresh (today) straw and leaves. Is this enough shelter for these temps? It gets them out of the wind and snow, but I'm in unfamiliar territory here. I am prepared to bring them into our attached garage or unfinished basement if needed. But I'm also concerned about doing harm by "warming them up" since they are acclimated to the cold. I would truly appreciate any input. Thank you.

4. katharinad

They have revised our weather to the worst. 1 degree for Tuesday night! Daytime 18 for Wednesday and another 3 for that night. Snow level is at about 6" not quite as much as you have. I will leave them in the small pen connected to the duck house so they can go into the duck house to warm up. I have an oil filled heater in the duck house to keep it above freezing for them. Perhaps you can do the same by running an extension cord over to your house. They don't need much heat, but a little will be fine for them. I've read a German website and the guy fills a 5 gallon bucket with hot water, put a lid on and sticks it into his duck house when it gets really bad. It's a very small insulated house that is only 4 feet high with a roof that is hinged. Not a bad idea. My ducks will be ok, but our well will freeze up again. I have to store water in 5 gallon buckets so we can run it down the well shaft to unfreeze the darn well head. We have even build a well house over the well and it still freezes up. The person who put in place did a bad job by having the union to high in the well. I will cost a lot of money to redo it, so we are living with it for now.

5. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    this snow fall was the first snow our ducks have ever seen too. Hubby said when he went to let them out, they wouldn't come out as they didn't know what the heck it was. But, they soon got over it and have been running through snowdrifts and swimming in slushies.

I love seeing their little webbed feet prints everywhere. the girls almost disappear in the snow, camaflouged, haha. dirty snow they look like, but, great fun for them.

6. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Awe!! So cute. I wish we had the occasional snow here...

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Pics??!!??

Honestly.

8. katharinad

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cute!! I love the first one. Wish I could see their little expressions on the first day. [​IMG]

10. katharinad

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by