1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snow pics!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Dec 5, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,, here's some pics finally of our snow this week, on Tuesday and Friday:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Covering my porch in straw so the chickens and ducks are comfy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Ohhh, do NOT show my husband! He always wants it to snow. It seems everyone all around us got some today, but not us.
    Must be colder there than it is here.

Hey, did the electric man come out and find the problem? Did you get it fixed? I sure hope you don't have electric heat!! You might have to hddle under that straw with the chickens LOL

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL we've already had more snow this week than we had all last year!! Yes I have heat!!!! The underground main line between the pole and my house (23 yrs old) corroded out so they ran a temporary main line on Thursday but it started snowing at 8 so they came back today and finished the new box on the pole, the line is buried but needs to be shortened and reattached to the house tomorrow and then it should be good to go. I have to upgrade my fusebox in the house shortly, but it's going well, thanks for asking!

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    [​IMG]

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Glad to hear it is almost fixed!! I always loved camping, but I wouldn't want to have to live like I was camping in my own home.
    One year, Christmas Eve, I was having problems with my well pump. It wasn't pumping. I went and bought a new pump, and the guy at the hardware store was helpful in helping me fit together pieces to make the new pump fit into the old plumbing. It wasn't the pump. The well had run dry.
    Unfortunately, there had been some heavy snow, and things were iced over. And it was holiday time. Didn't get the water hooked up till after New Years.
    But fortunately, there was heavy snowfall and ice. Son was sent outside every day to chip through the 4 inches of ice in the pool to break thru to get water for flushing toilet. And we melted snow to bathe in.
    So , we had to hook in to city water. ( Which is a whole nother story about how I should get to choose where my water comes from, and I shouldn't have to pay for a very expensive permit to be forced to hook in to city water)
    Anyway, city water has a LOT more pressure than well water. Which forced a pipe to break. After shelling out 3 grand to get water , I was standing in the basement getting a hot shower LOL. And had to turn said water off.
    When I finally broke down and called a plumber, he said I really did do a good job fixing the leak. The solder wouldn't hold because there was still a little water in the pipe. Had I known to heat the pipe till the water evaporated, I wouldn't have needed to spend another hundred bucks on him.

Yeah, being a single mom, making barely enough to survive, and having something major break... Yup, it stinks

Edited for typing errors- my typing stinks more than being a single mom when things break down

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Why tears????

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI

because she lives in Iowa and has been wanting snow.... Southern states that do not usually get snow have gotten more snowfall this year than iowa. La, Ms, South Texas, and now New Mexico [​IMG]

She just wants her snow.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico

because she lives in Iowa and has been wanting snow.... Southern states that do not usually get snow have gotten more snowfall this year than iowa. La, Ms, South Texas, and now New Mexico [​IMG]

She just wants her snow.

Ohhh!! I'm sorry! I'd be happy to send you some right now if I could! It didn't hang around but we are expecting more next week.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Could I have some too, please?

Glad to hear about the electric!

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    We got snow yesterday too! It was very exciting (although my spoiled chickens wouldn't step foot in the stuff!).

I'm glad to hear your electrical problems are getting fixed. You worried me with your problems. Electricity is scary stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by