1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

snow power outages expected

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sherriwv, Feb 15, 2015.

1. sherriwv

sherriwv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Have eggs incubating right now they are on day 8 and we are expecting 12-18 inches if snow starting tomorrow. Local news reporting local power outages likely...I hope not! First time trying to hatch eggs and I sure hope at least a few hatch. Anything I can do to help in case my power does go out for a long period of time?

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    So early, you should be okay. Last year, we lost power on day 18 and didn't get it back on for four days. I lost all but two who hatched on day 25.

If you lose power, do not open the incubator, put blankets on top of it to help keep some heat in and hope for the best. If you can perhaps put some rice socks in BEFORE the power goes out, it may help if your power is only out for the short term to help generate some heat. Good luck. In any case, don't give up on them.

3. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    I have some hand warmers. Wonder if that would help any?

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm in the middle of day 21, no pips yet, and I'm in the 4-8" predicted snow band! I sure hope we don't lose power. Fingers crossed for us!

5. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I would think those could help, just not sure how you would use them. Under the bator? Maybe between two blankets on top? I use them hunting and they get pretty hot so you would have to watch them closely!

6. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    West Virginia has been lucky so far this winter. I could have just skipped winter all together and been perfectly happy.

7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I'm with you on that one!

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here is what you requested. However it only comes in a still air, non automatic turning models, and it is also not exempt from oil embargoes by either OPEC countries or from our own government.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  10. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Exactly what is that kind of bator called? Nice to have on hand just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by