Snow shelters. Three different approaches.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Nov 16, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

okay Katharinad, Im am making my list for supplies RIGHT NOW>... I luv them all but really like the the 3rd pic as it would be easy enough for ME to make... EXACTLY what I need. We got our first taste of snow here and I can put this out where they free range during the day... thanks sooo much for sharing.... [​IMG] Kristine

3. katharinad

The third one is 6 feet long and 3 feet deep. It is so heavy that we cannot move it easily. The good news is that I can always convert it into some storage thing, by just adding doors in front.
    The second one is really easy to make and to move and I love that you can simply tip it over to clean underneath. I actually love it so much that I will make another one. Today it was down to 22 this morning when I let them out. I can see the second and first shelter from my office window and they are having fun in it. No snow yet, but it is nice to know that they have a place to get their feet off the cold ground. The plywood one could be made with cedar slats too. Would cost a little bit more, but would be appealing in looks.

4. 72elizabeth

72elizabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern FL
    Looks great! Simple, inexpensive and serviceable.

5. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Now the newest addition. One 1/2 inch sheet of plywood for 10 bucks at home depot cut into half. Two 2x2" of wood 8' long for the ends to hold together. This support the plywood and enables us to move them. A plywood piece for the back wall, and a tiny one in front. Inside are 2 solid pallets like in the picture before. This wind break shelter is large enough for 10 ducks and they can really stay warm there. It's 4 feet deep and about 5 feet wide. Overall cost around 15 dollars.

THIS IS THE ONE I WANT TO MAKE- the tee-pee type one.. ( I guess the first pic is of yur straw....) its perfect for my 4 babies right now ... good qucik idea. [​IMG]

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    THIS IS THE ONE I WANT TO MAKE- the tee-pee type one.. ( I guess the first pic is of yur straw....) its perfect for my 4 babies right now ... good qucik idea.

Plus, it looks like they are all trying to squeeze into that one!
    These are great shelter ideas Katharina, and of course I love to see the ducks!

Beth​

7. katharinad

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    This what I just built today. Its not the prettiest but they seem to like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. katharinad

As long as it works. Hope the wind does not catch the plastic. It really depends on the location too. Wont work for me with the strong winds we get up in the mountains.

One thing just crossed my mind are unaccompanied house hold shipping crates. They are a little bit larger then a dog shipping crate and moving companies giving them away for free, because they or not allowed to reuse them for military or state department moving jobs. They will do the trick too.

Now what are those orange pumpkin looking things?

10. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    The floor is actually boat dock and they are bumpers. But you can't see it but the tarp is attached to the chain link. And the front is actually wrapped around a fence panel attached to the pen and blocked in on the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by