Snow showers?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SunAngel, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    This was the result of the weathermans supposed 'snow showers'.

Some pics of my yard and coops this morning. The chickens were not impressed and most wouldn't even venture out of their coops! On the plus side, it is/was one of those wet snows, that melts on the street, but sticks to everything (the only kind of snow I semi like). The netting over the runs held, yay, but were droopy. I am hoping to make it through the Winter without having to replace any of the netting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cat with big feet or something else? Found lots of these prints all around my coops and pens this morning.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Beautiful!

We got about a half-inch of light snow last night, as well. The end is slowly coming into view, however: this weekend's forecast is for rain, surprisingly.

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks [​IMG]

C'mon Spring!!

Our temps are creeping back up to the 30s and 40s...with only a random day in the 20s. It hit 56 this past Sunday and I heard talk of another 50 degree day in the near future. I sure hope that is a sign of a continuous warming trend and Mother Nature isn't just teasing us!

4. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I like the set up you have for your chickens. The weather man said we my hit 70 by the weekend...You know I had to share that with you.

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I had to shovel the walk-way from the pop door of the coop again today.... winter is old !!!!!! [​IMG]

I like your run... [​IMG]

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thank you both!

It started out a big 20x30 run. Then a section got divided off to make a separate run for the ducks. Then within the big chicken run, I sectioned off a smaller run for juvies. That way they could see the big girls for a couple months before integration. Then, of course, I wanted a bantam coop/run...which was added onto one side of the big girls/duck runs. And we have the poles up for the addition to the ducks side of the run, but it got too cold before we could put up the fencing. There is also a big doghouse waiting for its own run to be built, that I would like to use for a broody or two this Spring/Summer. So my original simple coop and run has turned into a Chicken/Duck compound [​IMG]

Ohhh, 70 degrees! Thats just unfair! I am sooo tired of Winter, frozen waterers and door latches that won't latch now due to the frozen ground moving the wood.

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    You got my snow!! We were supposed to have blizzard like conditions (well, for here an inch is blizzard like) last night and today. Not 1 stinkin' flurry. [​IMG]

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Beautiful place! We're getting those snow showers too. They sent as all home from school early. It's light but starting to accumulate. I love winter; I love snow. I'm ready to be done with it now though. [​IMG]

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    We have flurries!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Ok, go ahead and say its no big deal, laugh all you want. We got excited!

10. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Yay for your flurries! [​IMG]

I would take flurries instead of the layer of ice thats underneath the current round of '2 inch' snow showers, trade ya lol. Actually I did see a few flurries when I was locking up the chickens a bit ago. Hope they go away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by