Snow Storm Surprize

spectrumranch

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota & Wisconsin
Pays to keep the live traps set year round 24 / 7.

While doing chores in the blizzard with 40 to 50 mph wind gusts, I noticed something in one of the livetraps, thought it was a squirrel from the size at a distance; when I got closer I realized it was a mink. Glad he went into the trap before he could start killing birds. Last spring we lost several geese, mostly nesting pairs to a mink in one night.

It surprized me cause I had not rebaited the trap after i caught a coon a couple weeks ago. I set the trap after I shot the coon, but didn't get time to put bait in yet. But the trap was next to one of the grain bins so he must have walked in as he was probably headed to the bird pens.

1mink.jpg

1mink1.jpg

1mink2.jpg

Congratulations! That is a very nice looking mink, and it appears to be in prime condition. Hope you saved the skin. And---a special thanks for not relocating (aka dumping your problem off on someone else). I have lost many a valuable bird to mink. They are the most bloodthirsty little demons alive. They will kill till there is nothing left to kill, and then eat just a tiny bit. Keeping them out of a pen is very difficult. They can climb fairly well, dig under fences, and fit through the tiniest holes to get into a pen and kill just for the fun of it. Good job!

Congrats. Shows that indeed it does pay to keep a trap baited at all times.Coons and possums are the most numerous preds on the ground here in my area, but coyotes are a big problem in neighboring counties. One guy lost 34 pullets to them. They dug into his barn and got every pullet he had.
sad.png

Awww, he's such a cute little fuzzy thing!

Amazing how horribly destructive and nasty they really are. Beware the cute.

Whatcha gonna do with the fur if you saved it?

Back
Top Bottom