Snow storm...ughhh

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    We are now in the middle of the big snow storm that passed its way through the US and is now in Ontario Canada.....
    We are just just starting to get some daylight and there are snow drifts as far as the eye can see....... (i'll post pictures later) And I'm just trying to make a game plan what to do with the birds today. Right now they are safe and warm in their house...but soon they will need some dayligt....and some water.

I don't keep water in their house cause they make a bad mess.....but today I'm thinking about moving in a water dish and running a cord for a light...and just leave them inside. But what to do with the geese.....hmmmm just not sure. Their house is a bit smaller (but there are way less then the ducks) but they need outside for sure. hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have gotten used to the seasonal differences with you guys over in the USA you guys having massive snow storms and us sweltering in temperatures above 100 degrees- and I kind of get a kick out of all the snow pics- since my own duckies will never see snow- but I have been keeping tabs on the weather all over at the moment. Here in Australia there is a category 5 cyclone about to hit far north Queensland - with up to 1000mm of rain expected to fall in some areas. Luckily hear in Melbourne I havent really been effected by the recent floods, but I think I would rather a snow storm like you have just had. I hope that you can get your ducks sorted- they will be wanting to get out and have a wander after being cooped up for a while- so I hope you get enough of a break in the weather to let that happen soon. Look forward to seeing the snow pics.

3. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Well I had to move the geese in with the ducks.....after I shoveled out the duck house....Hubby didn't fix the door as requested in the fall and it doesn't shut tight.....so there was a small pile of snow in there. The goose house was just full fo snow.....Looks like I'll be fixing things this spring/summer to prevent this from happening again.

I put water in the duck house and a flash light for a little light. I'm hoping for a break in a few hours so I can let them out even if it is just for an hour.

Here are some pictures.....some of the drifts are 7foot high...Our fencing is 8feet tall

Yard
    [​IMG]

Duck house and run
    [​IMG]

Goose house and run
    [​IMG]

More yard pictures....there are 3 big boats under that pile of snow...lol
    [​IMG]

4. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    hmmmm looks like the snow has stopped for now...the birds are out playing....but I can't seem to find one of my white ducks hens...wonder wonder where she is???? No one was hiding last night when I put them away....wonder if a predator got her yesterday before I come home???

Anyways I'll have to keep looking.... I hope she isn't in a snow drift in their pen???

Found her........woooo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

We are in Vegas on vacation and we got NAILED in Michigan and our house lost electricity which means we lost heat and I'm SCARED that if electricity isn't fixed and turned on we will be coming back to frozen pipes and damage. Temps are in the mid teens. I'm glad I didn't move the ducks into our garage or outdoors, they are in the basement, I'm sure they are cold but at least they are not outside. We got 20+in in less then 12hrs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by