Snow white and those are dwarves

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blackcrest, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

I posted on another thread about my hen snowwhite and how she was broody and I dunked her in water.. and now she has a cold. So I bring her inside the house and have her in a rabbit cage. I was cleaning the cage and these little yellowish bug crawled on me. .. WHAT ARE THEY??! and how do I get rid of them. i had to beg to bring snow in the house to get her better and she still weezing and sneezng. been feeding her oatmeal and been grinding up corn for her. But these little bug like things.. That could be the last straw for her to go back out side.. or worst dinner... ANY HELP AT ALL BE GREAT.. if you know, plz understand I am VERY new to the chicken pet world. So if I need to feed her something can ya say what it is.. and if she needs meds I need to know the name. Thanks and please help

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. Blackcrest

THANK YOU so much. I got something called red earth, the local farm boy told me to sprinkle a little on her and find their dust bath area and sprinkle some in that.. But I will do what you wrote if I can.. Thank you

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You can use wood ash. Works wonders.

Sevin has been banned for use on chickens. Just a tip.

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Really why has it been banned??

6. aoxa

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh. Thank you.

8. aoxa

I didn't know until a few months ago either.
    Now I use wood ash. It does the exact same thing. :)

DE does absolutely nothing in my experience. Maybe over a lot of tries and applications. It's price here is too high to bother with.

9. Blackcrest

I'm sorry. what is sevin? I'm really fresh out of the egg here with the whole chicken thing. And i want to do right for the girls...

10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sevin is a brand name for a product containing the active ingredient Carbaryl. As mentioned in previous posts, it isn't recommended for use on chickens, because it remains in the tissues and in the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by