snow-worthy roof for a winter covered run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TeamChaos, Sep 15, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I'd like to make a safe area for my girls to range in when the snow is on the ground and makes them hawk candy, but I'm worried about making a roof/cover that can safely handle snow load. Last year the snow and ice tore down the netting I had over the run.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    You need a roof w/ a steep pitch that you can reach w/ something to pull the snow off.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where do you live? The snow load was heavier here than normal last year. I have galvanized roofing panels over part of one of the runs (a large chain link dog kennel) I use 1/2 inch emt(thinwall conduit) across the top of the rails and lay the roofing over that but I had to wedge upright 2X4s under the emt when snow was on the roof to keep it from collapsing but it gave them an outdoor area relatively snow free.
    I have hoop pens made of remesh covered with poultry mesh and some days the snow pushed the center of the hoop to the ground making 2 small parallel hoops.
    All but one of my coops are elevated chicken high so they can hang out underneath which they like to do in extreme heat and cold.

4. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    We built our run with snow in mind, as we can get a lot of snow in the winter. We decided to make the roof sloped, and we covered it with hardware cloth. The we found a place that sells overstock metal roofing panels that have been scratched at a reduced cost. We haven't put the metal panels on yet, but when we do, we expect the snow will slide off as it melts, and it can bear the weight. (Having the boards around the sides is also to reduce snow drifting as well as predators being tempted to try to get through the base.)

[​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Metal corrugated roofing will let snow slide down it like Teflon. If you can afford it the metal roof you will never have to be replaced.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. PEI chicken

PEI chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Wow Shayna, love your winter run. How far apart are your roof rafters?

7. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Thanks! They are 3' apart, because that's how wide the rolls of hardware cloth are. Our metal roofing panels are also 3' wide. We are currently in the process of adding additional support across the top to fix the panels to. Will be done soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by