1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Any one else noticing this trend?? My hens have fresh water delivered to them every day. That being said they seem to be eating unusual amounts of snow and not drink as much water. I just added new pullets to the original flock. They could be bullied by the older girls.

My seven new pullet are rarely missing a beat and giving me 7 eggs a day no extra heat or light. The other birds have nearly 4 trips around the sun their laying is sporadic at best! I have 17 birds in my 4x8 foot print coop and some venture outside daily but only for short periods other days not at all. More if the temperature is around freezing.
    We had an Arctic Vortex settle in and had a -40º temperature.
    Now they have a Blizzard warning in effect for today.

OOPS!! TOMORROW NOW!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    If you think some may be bullied away from the water have you tried adding another waterer? I know it is a hassle making sure one waterer stays unfrozen but see if it helps to add another. If there is no difference then maybe some just like to eat snow:)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mine seem to like eating snow too...even the one in seclusion that doesn't have to share the waterer.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, mine will nibble at it but they all like their water. I agree with the other poster, probably will need an extra waterer if the old gals aren't playing nice. All established flocks here so fortunately not needing to deal with that, it's a cruddy time of year when it comes to water. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by