Snowball white Polish is now mudball...bath or haircut (pics)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GopherBoyFarms, May 13, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    My girls didnt want to go in today when it started raining...so my little Snowball (White Polish) is now Mudball.
    She cant even see there is so much mud weighing down her head feathers.
    Can I wash these or trim them off? And if so how?
    I have a total of 6 Polish and most cant see well due to the feathers in the way... but Snowball used to be ok now with the mud on her she is just a sad little mess.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Poor chicken [​IMG] I give my chickens baths... and show chickens get baths. I don't see why you couldn't wash his topknot, so long as you didn't get water in his nose, ears etc. But, I'm sure someone with more chicken washing experience will have a definite answer for you.

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    well... we opt for the washing....didnt get it all but she looks a little better after her wash and dry

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG] Now that's a bad hair day! Glad you got her cleaned up.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thats funny. I always wondered what they looked like wet, couldnt imagine how they could see. [​IMG]

She is precious. [​IMG]

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

how well did she tolerate the bath? And for anyone else who bathes their chickens? I think I would be afraid to, I am afraid of a wild chicken on my hands:)

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Hehehehe... Well Spaghetti (frizzle bantam cochin 1 yr old) did not much enjoy his bath.. though if he knew that's how we killed the living lice before treatment, he'd probably be more grateful [​IMG]

Then I bathed my other chickies since they are indoors and were getting dusty (I know, i know....such is the nature of chickens [​IMG] But I was curious to see them clean [​IMG] ) Roxie (D'uccle) wasn't too bad, and she looked so pretty after she dried. Charlie (Silkie) was very good and just stood there... I think he was in shock! LOL He acted indifferent towards me for a day or two afterward but looked SOOO handsome! He fluffed right out once he dried. The baths helped soften the shafts that were clinging onto some of their last feathers they got. He does however freak out now if he thinks you are heading toward the sink with him [​IMG] Silly chicken [​IMG] I doubt I will be bathing them again for quite some time [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    It's easier to bathe a chicken than a cat!
    And he definitely like the blow-drying part.

The cats were totally mystified when the chicken got the bath and blow dry! have to see if I can find the picture...

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO I'll second that!!!!!

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I would love to see that picture!!!!!!!!!!
    I have bathed cats, not fun! I think thats why I am scared of bathing chickens.
    My dogs are great to bathe so maybe I will try it sometime.
    Do you use pet shampoo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by