Snowing Heavily, NEED ADVICE!!!!-UPDATED!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leasmom, Nov 16, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I have some babies, they are 2 1/2 months, they are currently in a rabbit hutch coop that is heated with a carpet bottom, tarp on top, and sawdust, the sides are protected from wind/snow with tarp but the front isn't covered...its snowing heavily right now, should I put a towel out there for added warmth? The adults are in a enclosed coop that too is heated...I haven't mixed the littles with the adults yet...should I put them with the adults???

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:How about using a staple gun to attach some tarp strips to the front of the hutch?

3. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure how cold it gets there when it snows, but here if they were in a coop and protected as you've said, I"d not worry one second about them.
    I think they'll be just fine!

4. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I put a piece of tarp in front of one spot...there is still ventilation...but it makes it darker for them...is that a bad thing? Should I keep them in there during the entire winter...or should I think about adding them with the hens???

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    carpet is not as warm as hay. If you don't have hay use leaves or sheaded paper but they need something to hold in thier body heat. snow isn't a bad thing, but young birds need time to put on body mass to be able to take those low temps. Thats why Mother Nature hatches hers in the spring.
    Warm water and bedding is about all you can do, and about all they should need.

6. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I don't have any hay or anything tonight...I'll try scrounging up some paper...

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    In a pinch when i had to make an indoor home for a sicky i put a bunch of newspaper through the paper shredder [​IMG] if they are white they will turn black, but they will be warm...I'd personally cover the front of it during the night when it's coldest....let the sun in in the day...are they huddling and peeping their butts off? if not they are probably ok.

8. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Nope, they were up and eating...acting like normally...this is my first winter and snow with them. I will cover it with the tarp at night. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  9. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    I wouldn't put them in with the adults yet. I've got 18 babies about 10 wks old and I'm going to wait until they are at least 16 wks old before integrating them with the 22 adults.

You've got some good advice on how to keep them warm enough. Good luck.

10. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Yeah, they aren't able to defend themselves yet.

The snow is much heavier but I did go out and take the tarp and cover the front and make it where we can lift the tarp during the day and lower it at night. Great Ideal, it solves my problem!!!

And thanks to everyone that responded, I appreciated it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by