1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snowing in May?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alleyoops25, May 22, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I am really bummed today I got up this morning to snow. It had reached up to 85. here in my neck of the woods in Colorado. And I was making arrangements to move some of my more older and feathered out chicks out side into thier new big kid pen, ( rabbit hutch)to make room in the brooder for the chicks the are due to start hatching any time now. I also wanted this done because my bigger chicks have decided to start trying to establish a pecking order and are now picking on the littler guys in the brooder. And I am afraid that they will seriously hurt newly hatched babies. There isnt any snow actually sticking, but I think it is to cold to put them out regardless. So now I have to figure out how to set up a temporary brooder in the garage for them until it warms up agian This I am not sure how i am going to accomplish. This weather is very strange for this part of Colorado. It usually has warmed up and stays warm by this time.

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Global Warmings fault I'm sure.

Reminds me of the time I was working with a team to install check/CC/DC, verification terminals in the King Soopers.

When we got there, the weather was great, we got 2 stores finished the first day, that night the owner calls me and asks if he thinks we will meet our deadline, I said God Willing.

The next morning , I woke up to about a foot of snow, I called the owner , and told him that I dont know what he did to make God mad at him, but he better ask for forgiveness quick or we werent going to make the deadling. When he asked what the @#@# I was talking about, I told him about the foot of snow.

Well. long story short, God must have forgave him becuase by 2:00pm, same day , it was all melted.

Denver Co. really has some wierd weather. [​IMG]

3. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    The areas around Denver really did get hit hard this last winter. I think Colorado as a whole got more snow and moisture. I lost five hens and a Roo in one storm late Decemeber. WE got stuck at my in laws house and No bodywas home to turn the heating lamp on in the coop and they froze to death. Back in the 80's we had a storm that dumped over a foot of snow in June in the western slope. And Colorado really never has a predicable forcast. Last night the weather man said we would have partly cloudy skies. And we today I am running frantically to bring in all the wood I figured we wouldnt need agian until next October, Cover up the garden and flowers so they wont freeze, And figure out what to do about all my birds so no one gets sick. I am so ready to go out and bake in the hot sun, I have cabin fever.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bummer!
    I haven't planted anything yet...we had another frost this morning...:mad:

5. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Wher do you live spottedcrow?

6. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    I'm so tired of carrying the tomatoes out in the morning and in for the night! We finally got the greenhouse up today... finished pics will be in the blog tomorrow.

Here in Beryl UT, at 5400 feet elevation, we're expecting a low in the high 20's tonight and for the next 2 nights. Simply amazing when just two nights ago, the low was 60.

We got just enough precip (I think rain) last night to make dusty splatter marks all over the trucks and car. The wind blew hard enough to roll a 150' x 6' poultry fence roll about 5 feet from it's original location.

I know the sheep were all "undone" this morning as was the horse and the chicks. The dogs kept us up all night... so they must have not liked last night's wild weather, either.

I've heard our last expected frost date is May 28 and we're about on schedule. An old-timer told me last week that she's seen it frost and/or snow in July here... oh boy.

7. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Well I know this sounds bad but I am happy I am not the only one tired of bad weather !!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

You must move to the sunny south!!

[​IMG][​IMG]:weee

9. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    You know if it werent for tornados, hurricanes, big bugs, nasty snake, mean turtles, earth quakes, humidity, and alligators. I might consider moving. I am to chicken to do that though.

10. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    YIKES snow??!! No thanks!

I have to say that the weather here stunk last week (rained and rained and rained) but my garden and lawn loved it. They were predicting frost for here, too, last night. Even had up all the advisorys. But nothing seems to have been hit in my own private microclimate.

I tell ya, though, I'm ready for some consistant 80-85 temps. It was nice today, but cooled down SO fast. And the freakin' MAY FLIES!! Although.. I think I'll take them over snow!

Hope the weather breaks for all of you!

Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by