Snowing - urgent calls?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madimhunter, May 21, 2019.

1. Madimhunter

Madimhunter In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    Black Hilla
    Hello!
    I am a total newbie at raising chickens! We recently let our hens into their run from the coop. I live in the Midwest and weather is literally bipolar. Yesterday was 75 degrees and today it’s snowing heavily and a cool 34 degrees. Anyways, the leader of the flock is sitting on top of the entry to the coop and calling urgently it seems to the other hens? She’s been doing this for quite a while. The others don’t seem to be in distress but I can’t help but think something is wrong? Are they too cold? I have their coop under a large tree sheltering from wind and snow. I have one starlight Easter Egger, and two brahmas. Thank you so much!

2. LizzzyJo

LizzzyJo Songster

Dec 14, 2018
    Northwest Ohio
    how old are they?

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    How old are your girls? Are they laying yet? Is it close to sunset or is she doing this all day?

4. Madimhunter

May 12, 2019
    Black Hilla
    8-9 weeks. Not laying. It’s been going on since 4pm (now 5pm) but won’t be dusk until 7:30-8!

5. Kuntry Klucker

Kuntry Klucker Thekuntryklucker.blog

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    It sounds that she is unsure about what snow is. We live in East Tennessee so we don't get snow too often. When we do my girls freak out. They have gotten better throughout the years as they have come more accustomed to the strange white stuff. As long as they have a clean and dry coop they will be fine. They might not like the white stuff but they will not be harmed from it.

Just make sure that you keep their water from freezing. They need liquid water at all times to help regulate their body temperature.

Madimhunter likes this.
  6. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    I see your a newcomer so:welcome hope you enjoy all our community has to offer:thumbsup
    So is this the first time your chickens have seen snow??

Madimhunter and Henriettamom919 like this.
  7. LizzzyJo

LizzzyJo Songster

Dec 14, 2018
    Northwest Ohio
    I agree with @Kuntry Klucker . They're not too cold, chickens just hate snow until they're used to it. You can even consider locking them into the coop with water for the night early. It will be warm in the morning and they will be happy cluckers once again. I had the same problem when I first started with my girls.

Madimhunter and Henriettamom919 like this.
  8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I agree that it sounds like the snow is just unsettling her. She's probably standing there, watching her sisters and thinking "You're crazy! Get away from the falling danger! Get back in here!"

Madimhunter likes this.
  9. Madimhunter

May 12, 2019
    Black Hilla
    Thanks, everyone! She has since joined her sisters and accepted that it’s just crappy outside. Noted about their water supply as well! Thanks again :)

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  10. Kuntry Klucker

Kuntry Klucker Thekuntryklucker.blog

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Keep in mind that chickens are very weary of anything different in their living space. So something as dramatic as a snow fall can really get them upset. My chickens used to freak out during the fall when all the leaves would fall from the trees. They thought that the falling leaves were going to kill them. They learned after a few seasons that the leaves will not harm them.

Chickens have a very high predator reflex, especially with things that tend to fall from the sky such as snow and leaves.

Your girls are fine, just keep them in their coop or pen for the day while the weather is nasty. After a while they will get used to it.

Really strange that you are having snow in May! That has to be so hard.

Madimhunter likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: