Snowy mallard ducklings, scratching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hugz4all4, Mar 30, 2015.

1. hugz4all4

hugz4all4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    At thier necks? They are 2/3 weeks old.
    when I had them in the sink tonight for their nightly "swim" I noticed the smaller one of the two had a bare neck and he was scratching at it alot. When I picked up the other one it too had a small spot of bareness and was scratching. What could be causing it? Can I use anything on them to help?
    They are on gamebird starter[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Fed and watered on demand, which isnt much seeing thier is only the two of them :)
    I have used probiotics and electrolytes on and off in their water.
    Pine for bedding, which is changed at least twice a day
    Under a red light
    In a bin in the house
    This is not my first time owning ducks/ducklings Ive had them for years.. Never have I had this problem before.
    No other animals can get to them
    Added pics to get some idea but they aren't the best.
    Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What is the temperature?

By on demand, what is that? They need food with water 24/7.

Have you used the bin before? Is it gassing off?

3. hugz4all4

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yes, feeding 24/7 by demand meaning they always have food/water
    Bin has been used before

4. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

they should have food and water very two hours for the first 2 weeks, if they have it all the time they could get bloated and they can't burp so the gas sits there and presses on the heart and lungs, But if its wiring for your then by all means feed the 24/7. what i do though is every two hours let them eat and drink for about 15 minutes, sometimes longer. and then i take it up so they won't eat to much, but sometimes u need to do it every hour so they don't eat to fast and then get bloated, its a narrow increment in time when hey should be fed and watered.

As for your problem, boredom of course could be an obstacle. Take them outside everyday for about an hour. and if they imprinted on you they'll follow you around, mine usually follow me and its a major plus because i know where they are when we go outside to play

5. hugz4all4

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thank you for your advice.
    I can not at this time take them outside, their is still snow on the ground and temps are not getting much above 40..:/ sometimes if that..
    I do have a guniea pig playpen that I have been putting them in for playtime though.

6. Buck Oakes

no , a play pen is not okay, they could get stuck in something or hurt themselves. maybe a bath then? at least till they get tired, but always supervise in the bath, maybe throw some lettuce in their and let them swim around and try to catch it, even a fish maybe, it would teach hem valuable skills if you actually put a fish in there lol, but like a small catch, one they could eat.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. hugz4all4

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    They are never unsupervised

8. hugz4all4

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I am not a first time duck/ duckling owner. Ive Had parents hatch out ducklings before. I've never lost one in my care. I posted because im not sure what to do about thier necks as Ive never had this issue ever. They came from my local feed store, which got them from a hatchery.
    They dont seem bored, they dont peck at each other, they are not in their tote 24/7, they are in a clean environment.

9. hugz4all4

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    . They are bathed everyday, fish idea is great., thanks!

10. Buck Oakes

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by