1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snowy Mallard? Pix? Info?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Feb 7, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm considering getting a pair (or 2) of Snowy mallards from Ideal... I HATE that the only picture is an illustration... does anyone have this kind of duck? maybe I could see some pictures?

2. treehouse

treehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    i would show you a few pics of my babies and the adult photos I have but I can not post pictures for some strange reason

3. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    I have snowies. Look at my website.

Webfoot

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Try maybe googling the images. I do that a lot and sometimes I find interesting sites also. Ideal does representation with all their poultry, I too would like to see actual pics of birds but I can understand why they don't.

I kinda wished that I had picked a smaller duck than my Pekins they are so messy at times and noisy. My feed store has white call ducks right now but I have no more room. Shucks

Let us know how it turns out if and when you get them. [​IMG]

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Great website BTW. [​IMG]

6. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Thanks, WW!

Webfoot

7. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    Quote:Webfoot, you have beautiful ducks. Nice website too.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I got one snowy mallard baby from Ideal. I have a female named Sammy. I'll admit, as babies they aren't the cutest ducklings there are, but as grown ducks they are gorgeous! Mine is almost 3 weeks old now. You'll be surprised how small they are when you get them if you've never had mallards before. They only get to be about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, so they are technically bantam sized. Here's my baby:

Sammy on the day she came in the mail (The red spot on her head is dye from Ideal to mark her from the others i ordered):
    [​IMG]

The mallard is the one on the left, the one on the right is a pekin:
    [​IMG]

It seems the snowy mallard has black colored skin under their white feathers, which was a surprise to me. After about two weeks when i let sammy in the tub, she looked all weird since the fluff is yellow but the skin is black. I'll try to get a pic of her in the tub tomorrow so you'll know what i am talking about.

This page shows a male and female snowy mallard full grown, and has some info on them.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

wow. I think it's pretty cute... you said 'bantam'... and you also said 2 lbs... how much do my chickens weigh? can you show me a picture with a mallard next to something recognizable? for size reference? Would my fat swedes squish a mallard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by