Snowy Mallard Problem, PLEASE HELP QUICKLY!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BaJa, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BaJa

BaJa Songster

Aug 2, 2017
    Norwich, Ontario
    I just bought a pair of snowy mallards for $100 dollars a piece, and now the drake is suddenly lethargic, not moving legs or wings. He had sprained his leg 2 days ago, so I had him separate in a
    3 x 3 cage. had him swimming yesterday as well, although he was just floating a bit. Like I said, he won't move and is breathing very heavily. Really don't want him to die. Any help very much appreciated. And please don't come with things like what kind of food is he on etc, because all the other mallards are as healthy as ever.
    Thanks,

Barend

2. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Mother Duck to Jabby, Gabby, Abby and Dabby

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    How old and can you post a pic or video of the breathing? I'd get him inside and floating in room temp water for starters while the BYC community helps to figure this out.

Miss Lydia, BaJa and quackiemama like this.
  3. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I hope your drake pulls through!!!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. BaJa

BaJa Songster

Aug 2, 2017
    Norwich, Ontario
    When I bought him and the other mallards, he said that they were 1.5 years old. This one looks a little older though. Probably can't get a video. Thanks

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Wow. That was very expensive...possibly needs to be put into a smaller space to heal. Can take up to 6 weeks for sprains or small fractures to heal.

6. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    OK - i'd just start with an indoor soak - could just be in pain. If you think you can get him soaking in epsom salt without drinking it, even better. and they can have low dose aspirin too. 1 low dose every 4 hours. I had to do this with my Pekin recently b/c of a hurt leg.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They can pant or breath heavy due to pain. Can give him Baby aspirin once a day for pain.

CrystaBub likes this.
  8. BaJa

BaJa Songster

Aug 2, 2017
    Norwich, Ontario
    He's making gurgly sounds while breathing through his nose, and has lots of water in it. Every time I can blow in his nose and water will fly out the other end. That's probably his heavy breathing.

chickens really likes this.
  9. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Is a vet an option? He may needs antibiotics...

casportpony likes this.
  10. BaJa

BaJa Songster

Aug 2, 2017
    Norwich, Ontario
    But if it's the pain from a sprain, would he be that lethargic? And why now, and not the days before?

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: