Snowy mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by critterranch, Oct 27, 2010.

1. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    someone is trying to sell me 3 snowy mallard hens and a snowy call drake cheap 5 each they are one year old. you think i should buy and breed them what will i get? can the snowy call drake mate all 3 hens. they are pretty. any one else have snowy mallard / call crosses?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:I am confused about what you are asking. You say there are 3 Snowy hens and a Snowy drake. If you bred them, you would get all Snowies. Do you know if they are pure or crosses? If they are true Snowy Mallards, they should breed 100% true. We have raised them here for a number of years and love them. That is a great price too. As far as the number to pair together, we sometimes have bred 4-5 hens per drake. In larger flocks with multiple drakes, you can breed even more per drake.

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    sorry i ment 3 snowy mallard hens with a snowy call drake

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Ah, okay! Well, the color breeds true so all offspring will be the Snowy color. The biggest difference between the two is size and shape of body/bill. When you breed them together, you should get all Snowy colored birds about half way between the size of a Call and Mallard. You could probably even sell them as Snowy Mallards and just tell potential buyers you outcrossed to a Snowy Call drake. Most people that are not looking for show ducks probably will not mind. I am sure you would have a market for them. I have virtually never had any problems selling all of ours that hatch for the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by