snuck in baby chicks to broody mom!!! UPDte! WITH PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the1honeycomb, Oct 8, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I snuck 3 baby chicks in under a broody hen who was sitting for 4weeks on duds!!
    I went in under cover of darkness, and placed a chick and took out 2 nonfertile eggs!!
    she started by pecking me and then I think she was purring!!![​IMG]
    I hope they do ok!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    post pics [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How would you like a surprise like that when you wake up? I'd keep an eye on her for awhile. When the sun comes up she may figure out your switch.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    She should be fine. Check on her in the morning. I would go back and take the rest of the eggs out. I put two extra chicks under my broody hen after she hatched her brood. She growled at first, I think she thought I was taking her chicks, when she saw I wasn't she kinda peck them lightly then tucked them under wings. If she was purring she is happy. If you have a head lamp with a red light you can check on them with out disturbing them. Good Luck, it is fun to watch a momma with her babies. Don't freak out if she takes them out with in a day. I wouldn't leave her locked up too long with the babies it can go bad. They do a lot of scratching to show how to get bugs and grit. I had another broody that set all summer she finally hatched out a beautiful lavender Silkie and I gave her 3 other Silkies and a Mottled Black Duccle she stole and had them in a 4X4 coop which should have been big enough. I checked on them the night before and all was good, she was still sitting since they just hatched 2 days prior, checked on them in the morning before work, then came home after work and the coop was a scratching mess she was setting on the nest upon further investigating 3 Silkies were dead, I took the lone Silkie away and left her with the older Duccle who already knew to get out of the way. Long story short they need to get out and do what hens do.
    Michele

5. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    HOORy!!! SHE IS SOO EXCITED ABOUT HAVING BABIES!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Almost as much as I am and she fluffed up and chased after me when I brought her fresh feed!!! out of the nest and sitting with them under the heat lamp! 46 degrees here![​IMG]

I'll give her a couple of days in the broody house and set them free!!
    Thanks for the support:hugs

6. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    HOORy!!! SHE IS SOO EXCITED ABOUT HAVING BABIES!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Almost as much as I am and she fluffed up and chased after me when I brought her fresh feed!!! out of the nest and sitting with them under the heat lamp! 46 degrees here![​IMG]

I'll give her a couple of days in the broody house and set them free!!
    Thanks for the support:hugs

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Glad to hear. She will be a good Momma. [​IMG]

8. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG]:weee

10. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]:weee:weee
    i ALMOST PULLED BACK A BLOODY STUMP WHEN i WENT IN TO GET THE FEEDER FOR mOMMA AND HER 3 LITTLE ONES!!!
    They are doing so well!! One of them fell out of the Brooder box while I was at work and when I came home I saw it then I couldn't find it.'
    [​IMG] It had hidden itself under some hay and was being very quiet! I put it back with the Momma and she bit me for my efforts:confused:

A few more days and I'll let them out with the flock and I am sure Mom will kick anyones rump that messes with her babies!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by