snuffles - no, WRY NECK - in 8 yr old bunny - Update

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Feb 18, 2011.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Our only rabbit has been tentatively diagnosed with pasteurellosis (snuffles), and is being sent home with medication. If this is the case, she's showing signs of it affecting her neurologically (sideways head, lack of balance), not so much with the snuffy/snotty nose. Anyone with any success in treating this? She is our only bunny, so I don't have to worry about anyone else catching it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
  3. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Thanks for your reply, dewy. I copied the article and will share it with my DD. She works at the vet's office where the bunny was seen, and they do specialize in "exotics". Again, thanks for your time!
    Britt

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    You're welcome, and I hope your rabbit will be ok.

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Mine came down with that once and I loaded him up with some vitamins in his water and gave him some HomeoPet Nose Relief - I think it's for cats and dogs. We do have other rabbits but I kept them separate and he's become our house pet - and he's also completely over his snuffles. At least, for the time being he is because I don't think they ever really get over it.

6. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:I had heard that once they get it, they're never completely over it as well. I'd LOVE to have a house bunny, but I am severely allergic to bunnies (which REALLY sucks, because I love them so). I get all asthmatic, etc. [​IMG]
    Hopefully this treatment works [​IMG]
    What kind of vitamins in the water?

7. PuppyBantamCochin

PuppyBantamCochin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    one of my rabbits got snuffles....and gave it to my other 5 rabbits...I treated them with antibiotics in their water---terramycin i think?
    Anyhow, they ''got better'' but never were 100% back to normal. [​IMG]
    I'm sure extra TLC will certainly help you rabbit!. I hope your rabbit gets better soon. [​IMG]

8. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I used Vi-Tal, I found it in the aisle for the horses or cows, I can't remember which but it's for all sorts of animals. It has minerals, vitamins and electrolytes in it.

Snuffles is one of the bad things about owning rabbits. [​IMG] We raise a lot of them outside and quite a few came down with it last year - man was it hard putting them down.. which is why I stole this one away to the house because I just couldn't do it again. Not that time anyway.. it's so devastating [​IMG]

9. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm - Cached
    I raise rabbits and what you are describing sounds more like wry neck than snuffles. I have treated both. This is the best advise I have found and the suggested treatment works well if started soon aftrer symptoms develope. Good Luck.

10. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:Wow gooselover! What an awesome site! I'm now convinced it's wry neck - and a crappy case at that. She is "rolling", which is brutal to see. The vet did prescribe Panacure, as well as the "critical care" formula, which she loves, but has to be fed w/a sryinge, because she can't control her head/body [​IMG] . I'm thinking I'm going to share this info, esp. regarding the Ivomec, with our vet (I know her outside the practice as well, and she's very approachable). I also picked up some timothy hay blocks because I figured it might be easier to munch, even if she's on her side, than the loose stuff, which just gets stuck in her fur around her face (she's a lionhead, and you can imagine the mess). She is also "blessed" with the eye condition that goes with this malady - and of course, it's the eye that's stuck facing down [​IMG] . The vet gave her eyedrops for that as well. Again, thanks so much for that link - I now feel like there are many more things I can try, with my vet's help, but there certainly is a financial cap... [​IMG]
    Bless you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by