So…. Um, I'm a Dead Person???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HetaChick, Mar 22, 2012.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Or I will be when I break the news of one more little chick.

So I was out driving and I see this feed store and I stop by looking for stuff for my chickens…. but these sexed chicks came in on the 18th so naturally I have to go look at them. And as usual I can't keep my paws away… but anyway...

I see this poor little Buff Orp. chick and she doesn't look so good, I mean no nasal discharge or sickness signs but she's having some issues breathing. Sad, I pick her up and try to feel her neck; besides the gasping and tiredness she doesn't look ill. Her eyes are bright but she's just not kicking it. Then those… "UGH WHY ME!" feelings come and i massage her a little. She has water in her crop so she has been drinking. After holding her a bit she revitalizes a bit but does not cheep. it's like she can't.

Then… she barks. A little attempt at a cheep. And then again and she seems to feel a bit better and eats a little when i draw the other chicks out with my tidbit call. (I'm sure the store owner was like…What is she doing…? 0.o)

I talk to the store owner who ends up being a really nice guy who loves his own chickens and before I know it I have the chick with me in the car and i'm thinking.

I am a dead person when I get home.

So I don't think she's actually sick, maybe she has respiratory issues or has something in her throat. I don't know…. at least she cheeps a bunch now,even if it's still little hoarse bark-cheeps.. I know the chances are against her but i couldn't leave it there after seeing it like this at least it'll be comfortable right? (I didn't buy it for the going price either $5). Store owners can't sell dead chicks so he said $2 and of course, me as stupid as I am (because who in the right mind buys a clearly ailing bird) got her. I'm keeping her separate but seeing they came in 3 days ago from mc. Murray i'm not terrified she has a disease (but i'll be safe anyways)

So am I stupid or what? Plus when my mother comes home I have to break the news that I couldn't stay away and have another. She's an animal person and will understand somewhere inside but I'm still due for a tongue lashing. Hey isn't being 18 great?

Anyways I'll keep this up if people are interested to see if she makes it. She's only a few days old and is just so cute…. T_T I really hope she makes it, I could use a Buff Orpington hen around anyways.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Stupid? No. I would prefer to have a clearly healthy chick but you hear of chicken rescues all the time on this board. Can't help you on the health of the chicken, but would love to hear updates as they come.

3. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    She's already doing a lot better her cheeps are sounding more normal and she's gasping far less. I think nurturing does a lot of good with tiny chicks.

Anyways yeah…. on the bright side my grandma likes her (she complains the most of my birds so it's a good sign lol. She likes the yellow babies)

4. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Uh oh, is your mom home yet? [​IMG] Lol, GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

5. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    Haha, she may be mad for a while but this big step was my grandmother. She likes my hen's eggs though, so I just remind her Orp's have good eggs so if I'm lucky and the chicky lives, we'll have more nice brown eggs.

The chick is doing so much better now. I suspect she has something wrong with her crop, maybe weak muscles because she did the gasping again after she ate ( I know they do a "yawn" when they swallow, but she does it a lot in a short time.) So i'm hoping she'll grow out of it, or it will get stronger.

I don't know what else it could be, she's breathing fine now and has become very vocal. Her cheeps also sound normal, not rough and "bark" like. She is standing good now, alert, active…. so much better than just a few hours ago! With a little bit of cuddling, these little guys really do turn around. If I an find my camera, i'll post a picture.

6. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    こんばんはヘタサン! [​IMG] You're post was just too funny! I hope your little BO continues to improve! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! [​IMG]       がんばって!

7. MamaNini

MamaNini Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I hope you both survive!! I know my duaghter has a soft spot for the impossible chicks... but we try anyway.

A lady with 100 chicks gave my daughter one two days ago because "it was lonely". Well, it's not lonely any more!!

8. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    ありがとうございます!こんばんは^w^

Haha, yeah. My mom came home, displayed her disappointment but declared that I must

"name her Buffy"

if I am to keep her. [​IMG] Talk about mixed messaging.
    (we had a BO a LOOOOOOOONG time ago by that name and she loved that bird…)

We're in the middle of buying a new house out in the country, so because of that she doesn't want me getting more right now. *shrugs* I understand,
    but there are times when the chicken-a-holic side of me seizes control.

9. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Anticipation is exciting, but you and the chickens will both be better off because you waited.

[​IMG]

10. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    I'm trying to limit myself to just 12 hens and a roo until I can move to the country. By then I'll be a farmer and can claim more chickens as merely making my living.

I'm lucky enough to be married to someone raised on a farm so there will be little need for explaining away another 20 here, another 20 there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by