So 19weeks no eggs yet, can i switch food?

thehbcrew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Long Island
So my chicks are still on started feed, well the last of the bag. They will be 19 weeks in 2 days. Can i switch to the laying feed now even though they are not laying yet? I don't want to buy another 50lb bag of something that may not really be needed anymore

#1, you should post this under the Feeding thread...you will get more answers...

#2, I would go ahead and start with layer feed, just mix what starter you have left.
I have a mixed flock, 22 week old laying hens and roos, plus 3 12 week olds, I am still on layer feed till the
little ones reach POL, I offer oyster shell on the side and the hens who need it, eat it, my egg shells are nice
and hard. When the 12 week olds reach POL I will switch over to layer feed.

Just the way I do it, other people have different ways, but I would if I were you, they are far enough along...

EGGS! Yeah, any time now, at least a week I would say!

At that age, they should be OK. The risk feeding Layer to growing chicks is that they can develop bone damage or internal organ damage from the extra calcium. Yours have pretty well quit growing so they should be fine on Layer, whether mash, crumbles, or pellets.

Another option is to feed Grower or Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side. That way, the ones that need the extra calcium will get it and the ones that don't need it won't eat enough oyster shell to harm themselves. This is the way I normally do it when I have mixed aged chickens in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom