So 3 weeks ago, I couldn't keep enough ducklings here

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TennesseeTruly, May 27, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    So I put 80 duck eggs in the incubator. 20 have hatched and there are still approximately 45 left in the incubator due to hatch THIS weekend.

Guess what? No one's buying ducklings!! OMG what am I going to do with 65 ducklings?!?!? [​IMG]

Laurie

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ha ha!!! I am running into exactly the same thing. Now I understand why TSC has ducklings until early May and then stops--because now no one wants them. I have three that hatched in my last batch, and I can't get them off my hands. And there are 42 eggs in the bator! Ouch!! lol

I think it will pick up at some point--I imagine spring fever is over, but people still want ducks, so it'll just be slower. They'll find homes along the way. Next year I'm going to start sooner though and sell a whole bunch during the crunch time and stop putting them in the bator quite so much starting in April. It's a learning process!

Good luck finding homes for what you have left...

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Thanks! Then I have some Mottled Cochin chicks for sale. A wonderful BYC'r that has turned into a good friend said, "I'll have some Muscovy ducklings in about 20 days" if I wanted to trade. Stop the madness!! No more ducks!!

ROFL!!!

Laurie

4. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    If you're willing to ship, try posting them for sale on here! I know I am always looking for new varieties to raise or to increase the blood lines of my flock.

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I'm having the opposite problem. [​IMG]

In the past two days I've gotten about 5 inquiries about a Craigslist ad I posted at the beginning of last month about some Welsh Harlequin ducklings I needed to get rid of - completely out of the blue! And I don't have any ducklings for them, I rehomed the Welshies weeks ago! Actually, I'll have ducklings hatching for the next three weeks (starting on Monday!), but they're all pre-sold. [​IMG]

I bet you could sell all those ducklings if you brought them up here to Wisconsin! [​IMG]

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

LMAO And we thought it was just here in Florida. Start of the season we had to fire up a second incubator just to try to keep up. Luckily we stopped when we did, the chick market stopped like someone flipped a switch. We only have about 50 chicks right now and most of those are our Delawares. Some are presold and will go away on the 9th, the boys will go away at the next swap or two and the girls will go into our breeder flock. Last year we kept hatching non stop into July and we still had people wanting our chicks but we needed a break after 8 months of constant chicks.

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:I have the 'bators running in my bedroom (it's the only cat-free zone), and I'm going to need a break from the constant whirring of the fans soon! [​IMG]

It looks like I'm going to have extras from my batch of Runner ducklings due Monday (they're all moving around and about half of them are pipped into the air cell - I'm crossing my fingers for a 100% hatch! [​IMG] ), so I called one of the people who had e-mailed me about getting some ducklings last night, and she was on her way to pick up ducklings from someplace else when I called! [​IMG]

I'm serious - you should all bring your ducklings and chicks up to Wisconsin to get rid of them, people are snatching them up! [​IMG]

8. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Lol...think I' going to have that problem too - last month I ould have sold my ducklings 15 times over...now I have 48 eggs hatching in the next 2-6 days and I bet no-one will want them...eek...

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Dang no one close enough for me I would be happy to take a few ducks, and some Wellsummers, and some EE's I just find so many cute chickens and ducks and the farm stores are done for this year.

10. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    uh oh...I had five ducks go broody and I stuck 20 eggs in the incubator...I have 22 new hatchlings and more on the way...OMG! What now if I can not sell them? They are eating and pooping machines for the first ten weeks in particular with the rapid growth rate...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by