So after all my worries...Wendy is FOR SURE Wendy! :)

Mexiontheloose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Well, if any of you know my screen name you know I've been posting over the past few months about one of my "girls" Wendy. I was worried she was Wendell. Well the other day we had an egg in the run! The girls just turned 18 weeks on Monday as well. I thought it might be Wendy, but today (three days later) she laid her next egg in the nest box!!!

So proud of my girl Wendy!!!! :) Two beautiful eggs! (Sadly I don't think there is a yolk in either of them LOL)

Miss Wendy the Speckled Sussex

Egg number 2, laid perfectly in the nest box (next to the golf ball lol)

Egg number 2 on the left, and Egg number 1 on the right :) Today's was just a little bit bigger! YAY!!! :)

What a great day!!! :) I can't wait for the other two to get the hint and start earning their keep! :) Love it!!!! Thanks all for putting up with me!!!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif

Thanks for giving me hope, too! I was just researching my own almost 15-week SS, Murray, who I'm hoping is a [Mary? Murphy? - don't have a good girl name]. I've been suspicious of his/her gender because everyone here and everyone who's met him says cockerel, except for the lady I got him/her from. I'm technically not allowed to have chickens so it's important to know before the biological clock goes off one way or the other. I noticed today that I'm seeing feathers everywhere and s/he seems to be getting tall dark green tail feathers in. Your pics of Wendy look very much like what I'm seeing.

Gotta ask about the golf ball. Is that to show size or is that something you put in a nesting box to give them a clue as to where to lay? I'm expecting my two one-month-older hens to start any day and I don't know if they know where to go or if I'll just find some surprises around the yard later.

Thanks for giving me hope, too! I was just researching my own almost 15-week SS, Murray, who I'm hoping is a [Mary? Murphy? - don't have a good girl name]. I've been suspicious of his/her gender because everyone here and everyone who's met him says cockerel, except for the lady I got him/her from. I'm technically not allowed to have chickens so it's important to know before the biological clock goes off one way or the other. I noticed today that I'm seeing feathers everywhere and s/he seems to be getting tall dark green tail feathers in. Your pics of Wendy look very much like what I'm seeing.

Gotta ask about the golf ball. Is that to show size or is that something you put in a nesting box to give them a clue as to where to lay? I'm expecting my two one-month-older hens to start any day and I don't know if they know where to go or if I'll just find some surprises around the yard later.

Lots of us us fake eggs or golf balls to show them where to lay. And to the OP, there will be a yoke in it, just less whites. I had to make 3 pullet size eggs to equal one regular egg. But still yummy

I know! Wendy was such a major stressor for me! Her tail concerned me, the feathers on her back and all that were scaring me! If you look back at some of my posts, a lot of people said cockerel...when I asked what she was. But...she surprised me!

All I know is that by four months a cockerel looks WAY different than a pullet in the sussex. I saw a four month old cockerel and was was blown away. :) Post a pic of your girl, I'd LOVE to see it!!!

The golfball was the only thing I had in the house to put in the nestbox as an "encouragement" to lay in the proper spot. Wendy laid her first egg in the dirt in the run. So I was super happy to see her nesting in the box and then laying her egg there!!! :)

I'm happy to hear that Wendy's pictures have given you some hope!!!

Thanks! :) I'm super excited! I'd been dreaming about them laying eggs for some time and was anxiously awaiting them! I thought for sure it was going to be a few more weeks so this has been an AMAZING surprise! :)

Here are the pics of my gender indeterminate SS. S/he will be 15 weeks tomorrow. I had no idea about the green tail feathers! So pretty. I had to let her eat out of the bucket of meal worms to keep her still long enough for a picture.

And I tried the golf ball trick. We've had the nesting box blocked off for a while since they were hanging out in it and I didn't want to clean it until it was in production so I'm glad to have a tool to teach them what it's for!

Thanks,
Kelly

That looks totally like a cockerel to me. :( Wendy, while having green in her tail, did not fan quite like that. And the head on your's looks different than Wendy's. :( Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom