So, am I the only crazy chicken lady?

Razzle

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Alfred, ON
Alright so, at first when I got the eggs for my chicks, I moved my bedroom into the basement where I stuck the bator and everyday I'd stay down there almost all day for two reasons mostly,

1 I was trying to get away from the heat
2 I had separation anxiety lol

So the majority of my day was spent in the basement cleaning, knitting/crocheting, and constantly singing, I'd sing to the eggs about how strong and fat they'd be when they grew up, about how much I loved them already

When they starting pipping I moved my futon next to the bator and would sing Mary Poppins songs to 'em, and if I wasn't singing I'd be on the phone talking away just cause I wanted them to know my voice, after they all hatched I'd just organize and clean the basement because it was being used for storage, so there was an exuberant amount of work to be done, I'm sure my dh thought I was crazy bustling around in the basement all day talking to myself lol

I'm just glad my efforts didn't go unnoticed, every morning now when I go out to the coop, when I get halfway there I'll start off with "Just a spoon full of sugar, helps the medicine go down!" And you can hear them all waking up and chirping up a storm lol
success_baby-200x200_square_medium.jpg
SUCCESS

I can't be the only one though (despite what my family would like to think!) I'd love to hear some stories of overly-attached mamas like myself!
gig.gif

I have 7 chicks that are now 4 months old and every day i would ask my caregiver to take me to my house so i could see my chickens. I go out every night and morning. and when my parents are off i stay home and am outside with them constantly.

I got my my chickens at 1 year old so it has been hard to get them that attached to me but I have one hen that is let my best friends she always come over to me for spacial treats and pets.

I have 7 chicks that are now 4 months old and every day i would ask my caregiver to take me to my house so i could see my chickens. I go out every night and morning. and when my parents are off i stay home and am outside with them constantly.
That is too precious! don't you just love 'em? Do you have names for them though?

I'm having a tough time naming all of them, I've got 9 but only two names Stretchy McGee and Fernando
tongue.png
ridiculous I know, but they really suit them xD

I got my my chickens at 1 year old so it has been hard to get them that attached to me but I have one hen that is let my best friends she always come over to me for spacial treats and pets.
Awww, that's awesome that she was able to get attached to you despite her age, I love petting my chicks, although it's always tough for me cause I just want to hug them but I cant
barnie.gif

Nope you are not alone....I have only had two chicks hatch that I was not right there when they popped out. I am always with mine and I spend every spare moment with my birds (The big girls and boys). I am sewing for my little d'Anver rooster now...making him a vest. hahahaha I bake for them all the time too.

Nope you are not alone....I have only had two chicks hatch that I was not right there when they popped out. I am always with mine and I spend every spare moment with my birds (The big girls and boys). I am sewing for my little d'Anver rooster now...making him a vest. hahahaha I bake for them all the time too.
LOL! And my dh says that I spoil my chickens by blending up fruits and seeds for them!

You know whats always great though? I don't know if you's have Bulk Barn in the US but if you have anything like it, I swear there is nothing quite like it! www.bulkbarn.ca

I go and get all these dried fruits and nuts and seeds and throw them into the blender, for like 10$ I'll have enough chicken treats for months!

Keeps me busy anyway! and when you finish your vest you have to post pictures, that would probably be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

I would love some place like that..my birds would too. I get them fresh fruit as treats...they love white grapes, blueberries, and watermelon. I bake seed blocks for them with scratch grains, whole wheat flour, oats, barley, flax seeds, an egg, olive oil or wheat germ oil and water. Sometimes I add finely chopped fruit and such to it. I bake it in a square cake pan at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it sets and starts to brown. I let it cool and give it to them on range and let them have fun breaking it up or break it in quarters and toss it out for them. Try it sometime...I made them for a friends flock and took them...they loved them too.

Omg'sh, you are definately not alone! I have 10 in the coop and run. 7 that free range and go in the coop at night. We own an apartment building and we also live in the building. We are very close to our tenants, they are more like family. So, every morning I let the girls out and feed everyone. I freeze fruits for them in this heat. I holler to my rangers "girrrrrrrlss, here giiirrrrrlllllsss!" and no matter where they are they come running! Its hilarious! My tenants call me the "crazy chicken lady"! They even bring me chicken trinkets and such when they see them. One brought me a lawn ornament that looks like a real rooster, made with real rooster feathers. Its so real looking that my hens freaked out about it! I took him in the house and stuck him in one of my potted plants! Gotta love those chickies!
~Cathy

Back
Top Bottom