So annoyed with my car!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleChickenLady, Apr 5, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    So I had a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon that I loved. Started having some transmission issues, but still ran with no problems, just shifted hard when driven before it warmed up during the winter. One day I let my boyfriend drive home from the bank while I updated my checkbook and such. About two miles from home, he hit a slick spot and lost control and we go into oncoming traffic, obviously totaling my precious car. [​IMG]

A few months later I bought a 1999 Grand Am SE. It worked great until one day on the way to the hospital for my MRI appointment, my battery light came on, then the brake light, then the air bag light, then the security light, then everything dimmed and quit. My boyfriend and I were stranded and it was raining, gradually turning to sleet. [​IMG]

My mom's boyfriend (who works on cars for a living) replaced my alternator because the car started up when jumped, but didn't take long to break down again, so I was told it was bad. I've had the car home for about a month and a half and it's been getting around great. This morning at about 3:30 am, we decide to go to the store, while it's raining. On the way home, my battery light comes on but went back off, everything started getting dim, and right before we made it home, the brake light and security light came on. I pulled into the driveway before it broke down. [​IMG]

So now I'm super mad that my car is such a piece of, well..you know. [​IMG] I looked it up and apparently it could be my battery cables, or just a bad battery (since I replaced the alternator already). I just really hate having to repair my car that I haven't had long. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I know how frustrating it can be [​IMG] I've had my share of breakdowns! Whenever a vehicle gets older, these things happen...heck, sometimes with brand new ones! It's new to you, but since it's an older model, it's just time for some things to be replaced. Hope it gets better for you!!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Us gals do not appreciate a car that breaks down. Our safety is at risk. Ain't no telling who will stop to try to 'help' you. Used cars are so risky and some new cars ain't so reliable either. Sounds like your Grand AM ain't so grand.

I wonder if a used alternator was put on your car? If so might explain why it failed so quickly. My hubby has been known to snatch one from a junk car until he gets a new or rebuilt one.

In my mind some used cars are like a lame horse. Just need to be put out to pasture.

Just make sure your cell phone is always charged so you can call for help.

Be safe out there!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:My younger son had one of those Grand Ams. It was a real money pit.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Huh...my fiancé has. 2003 grand am that has never had an issue. Weird! I'd be looking for a different car if possible!

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    When in doubt, get a minivan! [​IMG] Or a smart car.

But seriously, it sounds like you need to ditch the car!

7. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:Luckily I wasn't alone when I broke down the first time, or when it started acting up for the second time. I'm always a really paranoid driver when I'm alone. Freaks me out if anyone takes more than two turns the same way I'm going. [​IMG] I've been known to turn into random driveways before, like it's my house, if I think I'm being followed. [​IMG]

Quote:If I could get a new car I definitely would. Honestly I don't like the smart cars. I do like the hybrids though..which I've heard some people call them "smart" cars. Unfortunately, being a college student only working a seasonal job doesn't really put me in a position to be able to just go out and buy a new car. If I could, I would.

8. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I went out the next morning, before my boyfriend and I went to work on our new chicken coop, and decided to try to start my car. It starts immediately. Didn't even "think" about not starting. I waited to see if the battery light was going to come on, nothing. So now it's acting like nothing's wrong. I didn't drive it, and haven't since, because I'm scared that it's going to leave me stranded somewhere. [​IMG]

I called my mom's boyfriend and told him about it. He says that there's a chance that my battery is no good and that it's causing my alternator to overwork and is frying it. [​IMG] So I was told to go buy an interstate battery and try to drive it and see what happens. He said hopefully it didn't cause my alternator permanent damage [​IMG], and if it did, he'll get me a new one.

9. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    We have a 98 grand am sitting in the backyard with 60k original miles.mil bought it new for 28;000. Why is it sitting you may ask....well after ABS lights and fuel pumps and 4 sets of window regulators and the thing still wont keep the windows on track.....it can sit there and rot for all I care....wont even crank now.
    I am an ase certified commercial pats pro at advance auto....I have more customers have problems with grand ams. And chevy malibus than anything.... grand ams are great till they mess up one time....then its neverending....get out while ya can... the fuel pump coated us 400 an I get a discount...sheesh!!!

10. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Check the little parts that connect the battery to alternator. I forget the name, it's these two itty bitty pieces of metal that the wires connect into in some fashion.

DD has a 99 Grand Am, had the EXACT problem you are talking about 6 months ago. The full charge wasn't going on, so if you let it sit for a day or two, it was fine. But if she drove too much, it died. NOT fun when you have a 14 y/o who is driving to school and work only, going into our rather fun frequently very cold and snowy winter.

Battery was fine. Replaced the alternator. Was fine for a day, then dead. Then DH was going to the parts store to get something anyways and mentioned that he was looking for a new car for DD because we just weren't dealing with this when 14 y/o has some fairly long drives to school and work. The guy there said "Here, this is what you need, do this that and whatever..."

DH did that. Car hasn't had a problem since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by