So, any evening meeting a teacher and $1200.00 price tag!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Cetawin, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am still swaying from the shock of it. I was meeting with the Music teacher and DD's class (concert orchestra) this evening to determine what instrument she would play....the Alto Saxophone was the result...$1,150.00! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love the Alto Sax...but not when I am paying for it. [​IMG] $ 1,150.00 [​IMG]

Oh dear heavens I have chest pains...I know I will wake up tomorrow and see the purchase contract and it will say 150.00 or 750.00 right? [​IMG]

*breathing breathing breathing*

Could she have chosen a 450.00 flute or clarinet? No of course not.

*breathing breathing breathing*

Edit to say...what a great sense of humor DD has...when still stunned from the price tag she calmly says

"Mom, will you lookie here...it comes with a music stand and a carrying case and look a ID tag"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My son played the same instrument, so I know what you are feeling! We were able to get a wonderful alto sax for $350 out of the local free classifieds. Turned out it was a good brand and the teacher was stunned we got it for that price. He also bought it off us when my son no longer wanted to play.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Are you need a large city? Call the symphony or the opera house and ask if you can speak to the manager. Let them know the situation, and they maybe able to turn up a good used one for much less. Likewise, call instrument shops and see what they have.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    My son is in orchestra this year, and they offer scholarships for tuition and instrument. You then return the instrument at the end of the year. He plays violin, which we rent from a music store for $21.95 a month, but the viola or bass would surely cost more.
    My little girl, age 5, is playing new this year, and she gets the free violin. It's smaller than my shoe!

Edited to say: We rent from a local music store, but they get their instruments from Milano Music in Tucson, so we actually pay directly to Milano. Maybe you can find a music shop that has a similar set-up.

5. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    The music store my dad owned for years would rent out as well, supplied quite a few marching bands.

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sorry, I re-read it. She said Purchase Contract. Now I can't breathe, either.

7. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Yep, makes me want to print this out and show it to parents who are complaining that we're suggesting each kid has hand sanitizer.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Big city? muahahahahaha a couple hours away there is.

Update after discussing with DD:

She wants to buy her Sax. [​IMG] (She wants to forfeit $40 of her monthly allowance to pay for it - leaving her $10 a month for her allowance). So, I countered with that she forfeits only $25 of her allowance monthly and she sticks with it through this year and then if she still wants to play it, I will pay the rest. I just want to make sure she understands that this is a serious issue and that she cannot jump from one thing to another and expect "Mom" or "Dad" to pay the bill all the time.

I think if she is willing to pay for it, then she is serious about playing because my DD does not risk her monies, she saves it for something she really wants. So, if she puts $300.00 towards it and enjoys the Sax...I will pay the remainder. Sounds fair to me.

I guess I should not complain...the owner of the music company took nearly 400.00 off the price of the sax. He is a retired green beret as is my DH...so instead of paying 1,500.00 we are paying 1,150.00 for a brand new alto.

Okay the shock is gone and I can sleep now...I shall get a picture of this saxophone for you all tomorrow. LMAO

nighty nght everyone!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Yep, makes me want to print this out and show it to parents who are complaining that we're suggesting each kid has hand sanitizer.

hahahaha I will buy a case of sanitizer and save money BIGTIME! [​IMG]

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I am still swaying from the shock of it. I was meeting with the Music teacher and DD's class (concert orchestra) this evening to determine what instrument she would play....the Alto Saxophone was the result...$1,150.00!

[​IMG] ...I am sorry but I think this is just horribly irresponsible and a dispicable practice on the part of the school... especially in the current economic crisis.
    Irresponsible because actually purchasing the instrument puts a real limitation on your childs ability to explore other possiblilites instruments within the school program and despicable because if this is the "norm" (finance contract for NEW instrument instead of a loan or rental or other second-hand source of instrument) then peer pressure and all that goes with that will be raising its ugly head ...

That such an instrument is extremely expensive does not phase me... that this is the norm for a (junior or high)school makes me wonder if there is not something else at play here (the source of instruments being purchased or the financing source is perhaps supporting the school band in some way (or the staff) and thereby exerting inappropriate influence on the school for the band members to buy new instruments >OR< the school has long term views to eventually buy back >at a super cheap price the -now second hand- instruments from old students no longer active in the program< and in this way build up a source for renting out these second hand instruments which they are unable to do now)
    [​IMG]
    ETA: I would never advise/condone such a purchase unless
    >you could afford it and simply preferred a new instrument to own outside of any pressure from the school
    >if your child was really sure they wanted to make a carreer with that instrument.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by