So apparently golf balls are just too cold

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I've been putting golf balls in the nesting boxes, but the girls get mad and push them out. Then the rabbit plays with them in the coop and I spend an hour or so finding them.

I picked up some wooden eggs (2 different sizes, just like my girl's eggs). Put one of each in the box and one of each in the bin on top of the box. After 20 minutes I had two eggs actually in the box!!!!!! Since it happened so quick I was also able to figure out which two girls were laying. Turns it it was my BA and Sex-link. Not my olive egger (Yay hoping for actual olive eggs) and my Cochin.

So I'm starting to think that maybe the golf balls were just too cold and they didn't like them.

Or maybe the hens can tell the difference between a ball shape and an egg shape.

Were you putting the golf balls in the nesting boxes to prevent the hens from pecking eggs?

lau.gif

smart chickies! I wouldn't like them either. :)

No it was a suggestion to get them to use the nesting box, if they felt something under their butt they would want to lay there, appearance of more eggs make it a prime spot I guess. I was given this suggestion many times by people here so I tried it, but my girls just didn't go for it.

Or maybe the hens can tell the difference between a ball shape and an egg shape.

Were you putting the golf balls in the nesting boxes to prevent the hens from pecking eggs?

I have 3 nesting boxes. 1 has a plastic golf ball in it and the other 2 have ceramic eggs in them. Everyday they lay an egg where the golf ball is. Have yet to see an egg in the other nest boxes. Crazy chickens!
lau.gif

Sometimes hens will lay eggs in the nesting box that is easiest for them to get to. The hens laying in one nesting box may not have anything to do with the golf ball and the ceramic eggs.

But, as long as they are laying eggs in a nesting box, it works for you. And it makes it easier to collect eggs if all the eggs are in one nesting box.

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket.
smile.png

LOL, maybe the ceramic eggs are too cold. I let my eggs sit till afternoon since my daughter insists she must be the one to get them after school so hopefully the other girls will see all those eggs and start feeling the need to lay.

I have 3 nesting boxes. 1 has a plastic golf ball in it and the other 2 have ceramic eggs in them. Everyday they lay an egg where the golf ball is. Have yet to see an egg in the other nest boxes. Crazy chickens!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom