So apparently my ducks are ugly D:

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, Jan 28, 2012.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Was just emailing one of the better known duck show judges in Alberta about my ducks, he asked to see pictures so of course I said sure because I wanted to know wether they were show quality or not. I sent him a pic of my pekins he said they would do well in a show, then a pic of my runners he said they would do ok, then a pic of my Rouens and APPARENTLY THERE POO I got sad Kenneth has good color but other than that there all poop :(, then was surprised me was when I sent a pic of my weird mix Mow and said she was a Welshie and he said SHE WAS PRETTY AND WOULD SO WELL!!!! that surprised me one of the better duck judges couldn't tell she was a fake! Wow! Still sad about my Rouens tho... I'm gonna try to get some pretty Rouens now.... I need a good show quality Rouen hen ... Ugh good luck trying to find one.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Ever hear the story of the ugly duckling? don't count her out yet.

1 person likes this.
  3. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I know!

4. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    I had 2 ducks in our local show last year, a Perfect pekin, and a beautiful muscovy. The pekin got nothing [​IMG] but the muscovy got first place. I couldn't beleive it, as he is old, not perfect and he has a hole in his foot web. So its not always a bad idea to put the underdog in the shows, they might just come out on top!

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Congrats on the win! how about a picture of the magpie goose?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    First point, it is very difficult to evaluate ducks from a photo. So keep that in mind.

If your Rouen has any hatchery blood, it is not a purebred Rouen. In fact, it might not have any Rouen in it at all. Purebred Rouens look like a box with a head. Hatchery Rouens are simply large gray colored ducks. Unless your Rouens look like a large feathered box on feet, you would be wasting your time to show them. It doesn't mean they are not lovely looking ducks; it just means they don't look like Rouens so a judge will not give them a prize that is based upon their looking like excellent Rouens.

Mixed breed ducks can look exactly like purebreds. That's why when you purchase ducks (or any fowl) you must consider the reputation of the breeder. I had a half Pom, half American goose hatch this year that could have won prizes as a Pom. She was gorgeous, but I knew she wasn't a purebred. Anyone looking at her, including the best judges in the country, would have thought she was a purebred Pom.

If you ares serious about purebreds, buy from someone who won't sell you a mixed breed, claiming it is a purebred. The appearance is NOT the only thing that determines whether or not an animal is purebred.

I've really got to remember to get some photos of good Rouens at the next show. This keeps coming up, over and over, and I don't have a photo which would really help.

1 person likes this.
  7. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    [​IMG]It's not fantastic, but its the best photo I could get

8. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    If judging animals was an exact science there would only need to be one show. Another judge could see things differently.

9. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI

10. Rooster2410

Rooster2410 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012

The Ugly Duckling blossomed into a beautiful Swan, apparently he just has flat out ugly ducklings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by